Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-Feb-2005, 00:17
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Bridgestone BT-090

From Bridgestone website... "Less grooves on the tread edge allow for better dry grip and machine control in corners, and more grooves in the centre area leads to better wet performance."

As you can see from the pic as well, it's a cracking tyre in the dry, but no tread near the edges for the wet.

Just want to point that out. I'm not against them, they're just a nightmare in the wet.

It may not rain of course, but then this is Britain!

Old 09-Feb-2005, 04:08
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Well, Bridgestone is HQ'd in the land of everpresent rains and maybe they are right. Have you tried them. THey must be doing something right if Ducati switched to them for MotoGP.....Interesting pattern..
Old 09-Feb-2005, 07:30
500SD

Anybody out there remember that these guys used to make some screaming little bikes. Their 90cc was light and fast and the 175 kept up with most 250s, but their 350 was a jewel with a broad powerband and 6 speeds (actually nicer than my Kawalski A-7). There was a lot of engineering expertise in the company back then and not just related to tires.
Old 09-Feb-2005, 09:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog Bianchi
THey must be doing something right if Ducati switched to them for MotoGP.....Interesting pattern..

Errmmmm?? What's that got to do with the BT090, its tread pattern, its wet grip, Desmo Due, or the price of fish????
Old 09-Feb-2005, 11:00
500SD

My point was, I think the engineeers are not too stupid at BS. I would imagine they tested the stuff in the rain and are not just speaking off the top of their heads. Perhaps that kind of approach also impressed Ducati enough to switch over. Just an assumption.
Old 09-Feb-2005, 16:54
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Bridgestone may be in Moto GP and Indy Car and even F1 but I can't say I see much of them at the front of BSB, BSS and I can't say I have seen them at the TT either. I have seen Pirelli in these places.
Old 09-Feb-2005, 17:01
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog Bianchi
Anybody out there remember that these guys used to make some screaming little bikes. Their 90cc was light and fast and the 175 kept up with most 250s, but their 350 was a jewel with a broad powerband and 6 speeds (actually nicer than my Kawalski A-7). There was a lot of engineering expertise in the company back then and not just related to tires.

Oh yes, I remember the 350, rotary disk valves, about 40bhp standard-but they gave you a cutting chart to alter the valves to produce 60bhp! Wonderful bikes but rare, I always wanted one but couldn't afford it. To put the performance into perspective the top bike power wise at the time was a BSA Rocket 3, 750 triple which produced-you guessed it-60bhp.............

John
Old 09-Feb-2005, 19:55
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Yes I have used them, a lot, because I had to in CB500's. That's why I'm trying to get the point across (mainly in the 'TYRES' thread) that they are fine in the dry, but terrible in the wet.

...and it does rain in the UK
Old 09-Feb-2005, 19:57
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

...and Weeksy, what are you on dude?

Why aren't proper 'wets' slick on the last 1" of the tyre then, if it doesn't matter?!?!?!?

Silly boy. Just coz you can't leamn it over that far
Old 09-Feb-2005, 20:15
Big Twin

Mood: http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by domskidue

From Bridgestone website... "Less grooves on the tread edge allow for better dry grip and machine control in corners, and more grooves in the centre area leads to better wet performance."

As you can see from the pic as well, it's a cracking tyre in the dry, but no tread near the edges for the wet.

Just want to point that out. I'm not against them, they're just a nightmare in the wet.

It may not rain of course, but then this is Britain!

Got to say i'd wouldnt like to risk them tyres in the wet.....
there is no point having a race on tyres that are no good in the wets...........you need to be able to trust what ever tyre you are using wet or dry...