Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Oct-2005, 00:22
Mille

Hair line scratches :-(

My mother in her wisdom must have taken a clean cloth and dusted my duke :-( leaving a 6" very fine scratch on the rear seat unit fairing. Is there anything I can do to remove it?

Mothers ?
Old 08-Oct-2005, 00:24
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
farrecla G10 wet on a cloth!!! perfect results !
Old 08-Oct-2005, 00:33
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Care of Paint

The way that you keep a paint finish looking new is to have a cleaning routine that avoids scratching the surface. The best cleaner/wax to use is the one that has the finest abrasives and the deepest shine. I haven't tried them all, but I always go back to the plain, green inexpensive liquid Turtle Wax. It may not last as long through washings but I think it shines the best. Everyone has a favorite, that's mine.

But, the key to a mirror shine is the removal of fine hairline scratches, the ones you can see only in the bright sunlight. These are the ones you've put there when you've rubbed grime across the paint surface when you wash or clean the bike, or just simply rubbed against it. Just wiping the dust off the bike with a clean cloth will cause them. Your wash rag is the major source of the problem, so start your wash from the top and work down toward the dirtier surfaces. Rinse a lot.

The key to a museum-quality shine is in the technique used in the application of the cleaner and wax. In particular, you need to avoid making more fine scratches as you clean and polish-out the old ones. So to save you the time, here comes the tip from 40 years of experience...

THE TIP

Go to the pharmacy/chemist and get a roll of white cotton batting. You know, the material they wrap around your arm when they put it in a cast. Now, tear off a small piece, wet it with water, and squeeze it till it's only damp (important). Now, use it to apply your favorite cleaner or wax. Tease it apart frequently to reveal a fresh clean cotton matte surface, and throw it away when it gets slightly dirty with any embedded grime (most important). Polish with a well-laundered old cotton T-shirt. The roll of cotton will last for years and so will your new paint.
Old 08-Oct-2005, 09:21
Mille

Thanks. Relieved to hear that you can remove them.
Old 08-Oct-2005, 11:12
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
two things ..... if the scratch is in the lacquer and your brave you can make it vanish quite easily.

Get some 2000 grit wet and dry paper, this will feel almost like writting paper. Use a small piece, wet it and the paint work and slowly "rub out" the scratch. Keep to a small patch and don't go crazy. Sounds drastic and looks drastic but works very very well.

Keep the paper wet, only rub lightly and stop every 30 seconds or so to check on progress. Don't press too hard and stop before you cut through the paint work. The scratch will rub out but you will be left with a dull patch of paint work.

T-cut or similar with a soft cloth will put the shine back in, then seal it with polish or similar.

I have done this a number of times on my own bikes and cars to great success.