Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Oct-2005, 00:32

Power Commander 3 ? and Gearing

I have a chance of a PC3 usb at a good price. The bike is a 998S (Thanks to all who replied) stock.

Will I see advantage from this ?

What mod is best for the gearing ?
Some say drop a tooth on the front saome say do the front and add one to the rear ?

Opinons please...
Old 10-Oct-2005, 00:39
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Even on a stock bike, you'd probably at least benefit from some improvement in response from the PC. Maybe a few bhp to.

easiest, and cheapest gearing mod is 1 tooth of the front.
Old 10-Oct-2005, 11:10
Big Twin

No expert here on PC or gearing, but have dabbled with both on a 749S.

THe PC3 was fitted because the ECU that came with the Termi blew and as Ducati were out of stock was likely to leave me with no bike for the remainder of the season. Fitted the standard ECU and a PC3, with a curstom map done on the Dyno. Total price £350 for the PC3, fitted, and Dyno.

I have seen the graphs from before and after. The before was incorrect fuelling because the ECU was for std exhaust and the Termi/filters made it run very lean with that. Also, there is a dip in the curve at mid revs and that has been smoothed out a bit.

Hoever .... The main difference to me after getting the bike back is the throttle response. It seems to be very responsive now, but it's marginal. I like it anyway.

Gearing ... I have played with gearing on both 749S and an ST4S (accidentally). I wanted a bit more go for the 749S so I increased the rear srpocket 2 teeth. This (roughly) equates to half a tooth on the front, and makes it accelerate quicker at the expense of top speed. The effect is to put you up in the 4-5k revs area rather than the 3-4k region, so it's more ready to go when you open the throttle. I think I like it, but it'd be interesting to try the bike back on standard gearing again for comparison now. The 749S already has the 14T front sprocket, and you should not go any lower that on the front as the chain will be unhappy!

On the ST4S I ordered what I thought (as per manual) was the correct sprocket sizes and found the rear was 4 teeth bigger than the one I had (equates to 1 down on front). It certainly woke it up, and it was a bit too easy to get the front wheel in the air when pulling out in to traffic. Of course, I liked to ride it hard after that changes because it felt so quick, and it wore the sprcket very quickly (anodised aluminium sprocket).

Hope some of that helps.
Old 10-Oct-2005, 11:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The other thing to remember on the 998 is your chain length.
The stock chain will not accomadate much more than 2 teeth on the rear with the 15T, without going longer.
Try a 14T front and if you like it then think about the bigger rear when you replace chain and sprockets.
Old 10-Oct-2005, 13:23
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I`ll be very interested with results you get with your 998s as I have one and am thinking of fitting a PC3 and having mine dynoed.

I have 50 mm Termi`s with JHP under tank filters and C/F air tubes with no filters or filter guides in place.

As for changing the gearing, Why? Mine is unbelievably quick as it is now!

Have a nice day.
Old 10-Oct-2005, 14:34
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
14 front on my 998bp and it makes big difference , much more rideable now compared to before , can use sixth now
Old 10-Oct-2005, 18:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I've dropped a toth on the gearbox sprocket on an ST4s, 996SPS and 996R (similar engine to yours), well worth doing, makes it more responsive and as Totto said top gear more useable.

When chains have been due for replacement, i've then put 15 tooth on the front, and gone for extra 2 or 3 extra on rear sprocket as its kinder/easier on the chain with a larger front sprocket.

As Nelly points out, an extra 3 teeth on the back needs a longer chain.

IMHO I think lot of Ducati's come geared too high, and its a very common mod which works well.

[Edited on 10-10-2005 by BDG]