Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Aug-2004, 15:56
Bevel Head

748 Clutch Master Cylinder

Does anyone know if I can change the standard master cylinder on my 748 for one with a larger bore. I've only got small hands and find it a problem after a lot a cluch work.

The other thing I'd lie to do is rotate the handle bar to allow the cylinder a lever assy. to be in a more comfortable position for me, but it seems to be keyed by the inner clamp bolt limiting the amount or rotation.

Can anyone suggest an alternative Ducati Master Cylinder please or help me out?
Old 29-Aug-2004, 16:17
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Two things mate,
1) get a larger bore slave cylinder, thatll ease the clutch pain.

2) the master cylinder is located into the handlebars with a dowel. Remove the dowel and you can put the cylionder at what angle you like. (keep an eye on the fluid in the resevoir as that will obviously sit level inside and could overflow)
Old 29-Aug-2004, 17:01
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The only practical way to reduce the clutch lever pull force is to change the diameter of the slave cylinder. The force-reduction aftermarket slave cylinder replacements offer around a 20% reduction but at the penalty of needing a longer clutch lever pull to get full disengagement. Another solution would be to just reduce the distance between the clutch lever pivot point and the master cylinder in combination with decreasing the diameter of the master cylinder. These options are not currently offered in the aftermarket, although Ducati did change the master cylinder’s bore from 13mm to 12mm in the 2001 model year in an effort to decrease the pull effort somewhat.
Old 29-Aug-2004, 20:19
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Hi there, fit the bigger slave cylinder, they are BRILLIANT!
Theres a German guy selling fully cnc'd, German made ones on e bay. I fitted one and it rocks! Big time!
As for the lever angle, if you slacken the pinch bolts that hold the clip on in, you can rotate the whole lot, thats well worth doing as well.
If you do both=no more wristache
Old 29-Aug-2004, 20:41
Big Twin

If you do remove the dowel to re-position the clutch lever, make sure it still clears the indicator OK.

Lubing the clutch lever pivots can make a noticeable difference as well.
Old 29-Aug-2004, 23:08
Big Twin

Rip the dowel out with a set of molegrips.

Makes a hell of a difference being able to adjust the levers.
Old 31-Aug-2004, 19:24
Bevel Head

Thanks Chaps!
Old 31-Aug-2004, 20:35
500SD

Mood: Christ been away too long....
Try nelly (DSC member) at cornerspeed for Slave cylinders as well - fitted one to my ST which was excellent.

Paul
Old 31-Aug-2004, 22:03

I had a larger bore slave cylinder on my 99MY SPS and that made an improvement although as Shazaam says the lever movement increases ... I thought that there was not much spare movement which brings me to my question.... does fitting a larger slave definitely work on the post 2001 smaller master cylinder bikes ... specifically a 2003 998S FE.
Nelly or Shazaam?

Thanks

Martin
Old 31-Aug-2004, 22:17
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The slaves are not interchangeable between the pre-2001 and post-2001 bikes unless the pushrod is also changed. The later bikes use a 10mm longer pushrod. The master cylinders were also changed on the later bikes to further reduce pull effort.

So you need to get the right slave cylinder. Yoyodyne, for example, lists two models on their website.

Part No. D001 - Fits up to year 2000
Part No. D002 - Fits 2001 - and up