Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Nov-2009, 14:24
Mille

Mood: Monster Mania?
Smile MultiStrada 1200, more info just for Monty!

Some more info,,,,,,

Ducati is describing the new MTS as “four bikes in one,” claiming some measure of an off-road capability. “From a sportbike for outright excitement to a tourer for long journeys with passenger and luggage,” reads an October 30 press release, “and from an everyday bike which can breeze through the daily commute to an agile enduro able to tackle off-road routes, the brand new Ducati transforms itself to suit the rider’s demands.”

We've got plenty more to tell you that the press release doesn't. First off, we can confirm the MTS1200 is powered by a variant of the 1199cc liquid-cooled V-Twin found in the 1198 Superbike. It's called “Testastretta 11°” in reference to the valve angle in the new cylinder heads that are said to aid combustion efficiency. A new fuel-injection system is controlled by Ducati's first-ever ride-by-wire throttle that is said to offer much better sub-3000-rpm fueling than the Superbike.

There is rumored to be a sophisticated electronics package that allows the ignition and fuel maps to be switched at the touch of a button. There will be perhaps four settings to choose from. The full 150-hp output will be on tap when you want it, but will be able to convert to a 100-hp setting for use in the rain or in off-road situations. Lever pull from the wet clutch is said to be quite light.

As is typical of Ducati, there will be an S version to go along with the base model. The standard bike will be suspended by a Marzocchi fork and Sachs shock, both fully adjustable. Brakes are, of course, by Brembo. Wheels look to be identical to the 1198's. An under-engine bash plate is standard equipment, as are hand guards.

A new three-piece frame underpins the MTS1200, using a new cast aluminum component around the swingarm pivot area to join with Ducati's traditional steel-trellis arrangement up front. We're told to expect a dry weight somewhere around the 425-lb mark.

Behind an adjustable windscreen resides comprehensive instrumentation that will include displays for trip time, lap time, range to empty, and current and average fuel consumption. Don't be surprised if you see a form of keyless ignition similar to what's found on modern Harleys. At least one, probably two, 12-volt sockets will be part of the package. Anti-lock brakes will be optional.

The high-line S models will have all that and more. ABS and traction control will be standard, and a tire-pressure monitoring system will be offered. Like other Ducati S models, these will have Ohlins suspension. But these Ohlins pieces are rumored to include some sort of electronic control that can be adjusted on fly, similar in concept to the ESA system on some BMWs. It is believed that this system is also tied into the engine control computer. So, punching in, say, the enduro mode will dial in a stiffer suspension and softer throttle response.

It's possible that the S package will be divided into two sub-models, a sport and a touring version. If that's the case, expect the touring iteration to include saddlebags and perhaps heated grips and a centerstand

All Info above can be found at
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-88888.html

And theres more!
The teaser site shows a counter which is counting down to the model launch and showing a video with a Multistrada 1200 in a darkened garage. The ugly snout is in full effect. When rumors of the Multistrada 1200 name plate first broke , there was mention of 4 distinct models in the range. Aside from the usual standard and Ohlins equipped ‘S’ models there is to be a ‘T’ (touring) model with hard saddle bags and a taller screen and, get this, an ‘R’ model. Contrary to what you might think, the ‘R’ model stands for ‘Rocks’ sports a 19? front wheel in line with it’s more serious off road abilities. This last one I’m finding hard to believe, but who knows !

This info can be found at
http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/20...tistrada-1200/
Old 03-Nov-2009, 14:49
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Going to see it in the flesh next thursday,inspired by the post about cheap ryan air flights on here.
four people for 8p , well it would be rude not to wouldn't it

Dont think its the ST replacement i am looking for though
Old 03-Nov-2009, 22:44
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
yep, I'll be there on Wednesday.

I'm hoping it will be the ST replacement I'm after.

I really don't understand all this b0110x about switchable power levels. Whats wrong with the good old throttle control

Also seems odd that the off road setting would firm up the settings. Surely that depends on what terain you want to play with (deep sand, soft bogs, rocky fire breaks, etc).
Although I can see the gadget brigade will love all the auto kit I'd prefer to be able to set this lot myself.

Can't wait to see it though, as its been a long time coming.
At least I'll know whether to firm up my order or ask for my money back
Old 04-Nov-2009, 20:35
500SD

Mood: 900 went 999 gone, Multi came and went, 749 Nero now
was going to milan but my mate cant go now and its £120 to swap his name for another mate......NOT.
Enjoy the show
Old 04-Nov-2009, 22:19
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
That sucks. Thats Ryan air I guess.
Old 05-Nov-2009, 06:21
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

yep, I wish it was a new ST as well with a bunch of trick stuff.
Old 05-Nov-2009, 22:21
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

I wanted an ST replacement too, very disappointed ! Even if the new Multistrada is great and a BMW 1200GS beater it wont fit my requirements.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit