Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Jul-2004, 20:19
GTL

Mood: Sort of shuffling along .....
Question .... and I have checked \"search\"

I want to move the controls on my 998 so they rotate further downwards.

I have undone the allen key bollts in the clutch and the front brake levers.

And they don't want to budge .... I know from what I have read there are retaining pins ... but how can I spread / open the clamps to access these?

Also is the an opportunity to rotate the whole bar round ny undoing the two clamps neat the fork leg .... or is this no possible / not recommended. Assume there there are also retaining / locating pins involved ...

Thanks
Old 11-Jul-2004, 20:54
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
you can rotate the bar itself by loosening the bar clamps but even then you dont get much movement as there is not much space before the cables etc foul the fork leg !!
Old 11-Jul-2004, 22:23
GTL

So when the allen bolts are undone, why doesn't it just come apart ....! Do I have to prise it apart with a screwdriver?

It seems a little brutal!
Old 11-Jul-2004, 23:10
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
take the screws all the way out and it should come apart I am sure there is only a couple.
Old 11-Jul-2004, 23:18
GTL

Are the (for example), the throttle and the front brake lever "linked" .... i.e you have to undo them both to twist the lever?

Thanks
Old 12-Jul-2004, 00:32
Big Twin

No. Just remove the allen screws completely.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 00:33
Big Twin

No...you may find that if the piece hasn't been removed since installation at the factory then it may be a little stuck...but 2 allen bolts and off it comes, just the brake lever (not connected to the throttle assembly). Try prising the two halves apart gently with a flat screw driver. If it doesn't part...then....uhm...

Once the two halves have been removed from the bar, all will become clear.

Some people have filed or cut the pins off, or just pulled them out, but I had to memove the whole bar, and use a grinder to remove the pins. Even this only takes 15 minutes each side.

Worth doing though...100% better riding position.

[Edited on 11-7-2004 by Harv748]
Old 12-Jul-2004, 13:37
Mille

I carried out this same mod on my 999 at the weekend and would add the following.

I marked the bar and lever assembly as a reference point before starting.

The pins would not come out at first with a tug but after twisting them slightly clockwise and anticlockwise whilst pulling them they freed up and came out (should have been a dentist!) - I used "mole" grips.

I only managed to get 3-4mm of rotation before the line from clutch master cyl touched the fork leg, similar for the brake but the casting fouled the twistgrip cables first.

However, although only a small amount of movement was gained the result was good and it is definately more comfortable and worth the effort.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 23:29
GTL

Bugger me, I did it ... they neededa heafty tap to seperate .... and the removal of the gubbins around them, but the opened. Located the pin, would it come out with a mole wrench. Would it f***. Out comes the dremel, and the pins are now flush with the bars ... controls rotated around to comfortable ( relative term , I think)

Not loads of movement but enough. setting up the right hand controls so the brake res doesn't foul is a bit of a pig .....

Thanks for you help !
Old 13-Jul-2004, 22:48

Mood: bright eyed and bushy tailed
if you remove the bar clamps you can swap the left with right and vice versa , turn them upside down, re-clamp them to the fork tubes and hey presto, bars no longer pointing down but a much more upright position which is far more comfortable
only drawback is that on full lock they can now catch the body work if your not carefull with their positioning