Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jun-2003, 09:56
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Just put my first set of 207RRs on the 996R and straight away the front feels 100% better, never had the feeing that the Michelin was going to hold up and was unfortunately (and expensively) proved right.

There are some great deals to be had out there on 207RRs, you can get a pair fitted to loose wheels for £160.

Not trying to knock your confidence Ian, the tyre has already done that as you've posted here with concerns about it. Is it worth trashing a bike for the sake of a decent pair of tyres ?, I don't think so, speaking from experience.

Saying that I have to agree that the marks you talk about look pretty normal, from your original description I was expecting to see cold shear evidence when you posted the picture later.

Interesting to hear how many others have had the "Michelin Experience" which ends in a trip to the wallet or the hospital or if you're really unlucky to both.
Old 20-Jun-2003, 10:14
Mille

Mood: Yoi
Glad to see that you're enjoying those RR's Paul.

They have completely transformed my M900 since I had them fitted for £99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20-Jun-2003, 11:22

similar experience to me

Ian

I did a trackday at Mallory last August - in the intermediates, tyres were pilot sport cups 31 and 34psi.

All the right handers had the edge on the other riders - overtaking no probs...(with a good consistant wear to rear tyre)...

...but once I was at the devils elbow (only left hander) the rear end of the bike progressively got worse throughout the day.

The tyre was tearing up on the left to the point where it was sliding coming out of the bend. Had a few people agree it was cold tear - even though there seemed to be loads of heat in the tyre - it wasnt sufficient on the left side.

Part of the problem is my bike has been re-sprocketed with 1 down front 3up on the rear. Great for most situations just not at Mallory.

Regards
Les :-)

ps Have just moved over to rennsports as the rear end was sliding a fair bit on the road (round the twisties) - managed to get 1000miles from the cups :-(
Old 20-Jun-2003, 12:40
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
i admit to being raelly confussed about tyres now. I have never been a fan of Michelins but decided to fit this one rather than go for new pair when there was life still in the front, - and as a result of the recent write ups in Bike magazine, - they seem to really rate the Pilots. However I do accept that the way a vee twin puts out it's power is so totaly differnt from an inline 4. - I was cpoming out of the bends on about 7000 rpm where a mate on an R6 was screaming out 12000 rpm.

The picture of the tyre does look different from what was seen after a 20 min track session, - the picture above is after 80 road miles, - It did look like a tear and chunking blobs of rubber at the track, honest.

Any tyre experts coimng to the DSC track day?
Old 20-Jun-2003, 12:57

my friend was on an SV650 - every lap I would be ready to overtake him until the left hander when he could nail it and leave me standing...whilst i'm gentle on the throttle while the rear is spinning...

Not good for confidence!!! - got slower as the day went on - and the tyre got worse after each session...
Old 24-Jun-2003, 14:21
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
We have a professional tyre fitting guy at Mallory on the first, but I don't know him yet, so can't comment on any advice he might give you. The tyre pictured looks perfectly normal with wear at the main part where you put the power down coming out of corners. A lot of the bobbles/marbles that you get at the edge of the tyre are simply rubber coming off the track. After a very hot day at Cadwell and only two other 8 lap races there, my rear is covered in extra rubber and only fit for the bin. The left at Mallory, The Devils Elbow, is a well know high-side point as there are so few lefts that this side of the tyre could stay 'cool' for a whole 20min session. If you're too eager on the cold tyre, it will slip, then grip and you go for a flying lesson. The shredding talked about is just cold tearing.

Glad to hear the 207RR is a good tyre. I have just bought two 'used' sets that have done one R6 Cup race each and although they look a lot more shredded on the right than those in the picture above, they will do me for some time. The left hand side and centre of the tyre still have the mould nipples sticking up.

WeeJohnyB
PS note to self - stop pretending you know anything about what you are talking about, some poor soul mey rely on your ramblings
Old 25-Jun-2003, 13:21
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Ian stop worrying about your tyres mate, the rear pilot sport on my ST4S looked a lot worse than yours after John Hackett had done a session at Silverstone on it. I take it you are using a 190 rear-that will be why you have the chicken strip-change to a 180 mate you will get loads more grip.
Pressure wise you should reduce your back tyre pressure to 30lb ish for track riding.
Don't worry about MR James comments about Michelin, he just doesn't like them. Have to agree though the AM89's were CRAP.

John
Old 25-Jun-2003, 13:59
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
thanks Monty, - if it occurs again at Mallory I will come find you all and see what you think. And WJB thanks to you also, - I am a poor sould who does value your input and advice, - now if you could could just get my track day state of mind sorted for me??....
Old 25-Jun-2003, 17:10
Montjuic

Mood: Waiting for the Sunshine
you can get chunks out of the rear if you go too hard before the tyre has had a chance to warm up properly. Make sure you 2 of 3 gentle-ish laps before gunning it. That way the tyre has chance to get upto temperature.
Old 26-Jun-2003, 00:38
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Heres mine after Croft.
BT56SS's were starting to slide at the back when exiting Tower and JimClarke Esses which is odd as they are both right handers and so are 90% of the corners at Croft?

Ran 30 fr and 30 rear.
Warmed em up for a few laps and let em ave it.