Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Oct-2003, 01:46

Welding on the bike?

I found a broken mounting tab on my exhaust and was curious if any of you have done MIG welding on a component still mounted on the bike. I'm concerned that some of the electrical components might be damaged by the high current. The computer is easy enough to isolate, as is the battery but are any of the other components (sensors, ignition modules, relays, etc) sensitive to high current flow? The broken tab is easily accessed without removing the exhaust system but I don't want to kill the bike just to save time. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-Oct-2003, 10:04
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Hi Marty, i think you should be okay isolating the cpu and the battery, but the main thing is to attach the welder earth clamp as close to the part you are welding as possible. This stops the current having to travel though other components thus reducing the risk of damage.

Mark
Old 12-Oct-2003, 10:20
Ducati Corse

When i used to spend hours mig welding my old mini the only thing i was told to disconnect was the alternator. Sure enough the one time i forgot to do that was the time that i fried the regulator pack.
Old 12-Oct-2003, 11:27

Marty,The risk is not from the normal voltage & the current given out by a welder during use, but instead from the very large "voltage spike" that occurs unavoidably "when the arc is switched off".This spike occurs because the high current path through the welding cables, the weld pool & the arc itself will set up a significant electromagnetic field around itself. When tgis field collapses very suddenly as the arc is switched off it will induce a voltage pulse in a nearby electrical circuts even if they are electrically isolated from the actual welding current path. The size of the pulse is determined by a whole host of factors but long connecting cables are particularly good at suffering from this induction effect, hence the need to disconnect them from sensitive circuts.The welder transformeritself also generates a big spike as its electromagnetic collapses when the arc is switched off.This is directly carried into the component being welded & so distributed to anything connected to it. some mechanics disconnect the battery during welding in the mistaken beliefthis will protect those sensitve systems on the the machines from voltage spikes. Others think that positioning the welding earth clamp nearer to the weld will offer protection. In fact neither of these methods makes any difference to the voltage spikes ability to cause irreparable damage. The only way to guarantee protection is one of three ways in order of effectiveness.(1) remove the piece to be wekded & weld it before refitting it. (2)fit a surge protection device available from the local welding vendor supplier. (3)disconnect all & every sensitive piece of equipment from long connecting cables. Having said all this, welding a machine ,or any vehicle without taking such precautions doesnt mean it will always be damaged. It does however meanyou are risking damage & given the cost of replacing the componets you have to ask yourself ,weather its a risk that is really worth taking.later...RS
Old 12-Oct-2003, 12:59
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Just read your reply RS and agree fully with your comments.

Welcome to the club, nice to see another member from the colonies!
Old 12-Oct-2003, 16:06
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
RockStore, inteeresting post, you finally given up on the Ducati Index?, glad your Duke knowledge is going to be shared with people who appreciate it.
Old 13-Oct-2003, 01:30
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Nice to see you here too RS.

Guessing you're the same RS from Vtwins???

Guido (yup, the same one!! )
Old 13-Oct-2003, 08:35
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Guessing you're the same RS from Vtwins???

Think you are right there Guy.

Ditto with the nice to see you RS.
Paul.
Old 13-Oct-2003, 13:18
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Hi RS

Nice to see you here RS.

Yella
Old 14-Oct-2003, 00:26

Thanks guys for the warm welcome,Ill try to help out as much as i can .. that is when im off these crutches & medicine. Had knee surgery a while ago and am still recoverying from it. see yous soon.later..RS