Ducati Sporting Club UK
DSC & Ducati Events
Local, national & worldwide Ducati related event notices

Old 11-Jan-2012, 10:11
Bikes: 900ssie

Mood: Happy
Brooklands Museum

Good day to you All

On the 30th June this year to the day, it will be the 75th anniversary when a BSA model called the “Empire Star” was awarded the Brookland Gold Star for a 100mph lap, and from that day BSA renamed the Empire Star the “Gold Star”.
The Brookland Museum working alongside the Gold Star Owners Club are going to try and have the greatest number of Gold Star and Rocket Gold Star’s in one location at the same time.
They have asked if the Ducati Owners Club G.B would like to have a Ride in to the Museum on the day, I feel that it would make the day even better if all the Italian Bike Manufactures was represented,
There will be an admission fee for this event, included in this charge is entry to all the Museum along with the Cobham Bus Museum, not included is Concord.
The Test Hill will be open to BSA and invited Race Bikes from the Brooklands era.
What I would like to do is test the water to see how many of you would like to do this type of event before I replay to the Museum

Fred Ellis
Old 11-Jan-2012, 18:32
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 999, BSA A65 Lightning, Matchless G80s

Mood: Fed up with DIY!
Talking

Hi Fred. I will definitely be interested in going to this event. I have wanted to get to Brooklands for a while now so this is ideal. Love the DBD34.
Old 11-Jan-2012, 20:23

Hi Trig

How are going to ride two bikes on the day??
Will it be the BSA or the Ducati
Any way it will be great to see on the day no matter which bike you are on.

Fred
Old 11-Jan-2012, 22:13
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep diver
How are going to ride two bikes on the day??
Will it be the BSA or the Ducati

Hahahahaha! It'd be a miracle if he turned up on the BSA...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 11-Jan-2012, 22:52
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 999, BSA A65 Lightning, Matchless G80s

Mood: Fed up with DIY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye

What a cheek!!

In truth its not far off but it will still take me an age to finish

Fred - I am sure I will turn up on the Ducati. Looking forward to it.
Old 12-Jan-2012, 08:55
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye

Beat me to it Ant.

Sorry Glenn, only pulling your leg.

Count me in, should be a good day.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 10:02

Just a quick update, so far I have six who say that they are in, and one maybe,

It would be great if we could gut some more people to take part in this event as we just may be able to get a Ducati discount on entry tickets.

I will contact Mike Sands at the Museum in April to see if this can be so and also to ask if we could have our own parking area.

Fred
Old 26-Mar-2012, 16:00

Just received this mail shot

Gold Stars to Glitter on 75th Anniversary; 30th June 2012.
Museum Aims for Record Turnout of Famous Model

On 30th June 1937, Walter Handley lapped the famous Brooklands Outer Circuit at over 100mph on a BSA “Empire Star” motorcycle, and was awarded a Brooklands Gold Star for his effort. The BSA company promptly renamed the bike “Gold Star”, thus starting an illustrious line which would dominate its competition class for years to come. On 30th June this year, 75 years to the day from Handley’s feat, the Gold Star Owners Club will be celebrating that anniversary with a special day of action at Brooklands Museum – and the Club and the Museum are hoping to assemble the biggest collection of these famous bikes ever seen together in one place.

Handley’s 1937 feat was established in an “All-Comers Handicap” race: his fastest lap was at a speed of 107.57mph, and his average over the three laps was 102.77mph. This was achieved in the days of small drum brakes, girder forks and no rear suspension, on a concrete track that was notorious for its unforgiving, bumpy surface. The name “Gold Star” (affectionately shortened to “Goldie”) has been synonymous with motorcycle sporting excellence from that day on.

In the 1950s and ‘60s the single-cylinder “Goldie”, in all its guises, dominated Trials (including the International Six Days Trial), Clubmans Road Racing and Scrambles (Moto X). Who could forget Lampkin, Smith, Rickman and Nicholson flying at Hawkstone Park or on the trials circuits? They attracted a huge following on television, even on small black and white screens.

The inaugural Clubmans TT race was run on the Isle of Man in 1947, and in 1949 Harold Clark, on a Gold Star, won the 350cc race at over 75mph. The next few years, until the demise of the Clubmans TT in 1956, were a Gold Star feast, with BSAs dominating both 350cc and 500cc classes. In 1956 Bernard Codd scored “the double” by winning both classes. Early successes were mostly with ZB, BB, and CB models and BSA built on those achievements, eventually developing the iconic DBD “big fin” engine. This is the iconic machine all motorcycle enthusiasts recognise and many aspire to possess.

The event at Brooklands Museum on 30th June will celebrate the award-winning race of 75 years ago and a festival of all things “Goldie”, including the later twin-cylinder Rocket Gold Stars. Throughout the day, visitors will see “Goldies”, ranging from the earliest Gold Star in existence right through to the latest “New Builds”, climbing the famous Test Hill. A selection of the Museum’s pre-war race-bikes will also be in action. In addition to the Gold Star Owners Club, the BSA Club, Norton Owners Club and Vintage Motor Cycle Club have all confirmed their support and will be bringing club stands with memorabilia to add to the nostalgia.

There will be photo opportunities for “Goldie” owners, under Concorde and on the Members’ Banking - the steepest part of the Race Track - with the rest of the day to look round the wonderful Museum of bikes, cars and historic aircraft, including the opportunity to take the half-hour Concorde Experience on board the beautifully presented Concorde “Delta Golf” - the first aircraft ever to carry 100 people at Mach 2. Entry to the London Bus Museum, now open on the site, is included in the admission price.

The aim of the day is simple: “The most Goldies in one place at one time….EVER!”

Gold Star Day runs from 10am to 5pm on 30th June. Members of the Gold Star Owners Club can purchase concessionary tickets via the Club. All other riders of ANY make of machine will pay £10 for rider and bike, or £15 for rider, bike and pillion passenger, with tickets available at the gate. All bikes will enter the Museum site through the Campbell Gate entrance off Brooklands Road (B374), with car-borne spectators using the Museum’s public car parks off Wellington Way. There is a supplement of £4 for the Concorde Experience.

Clubs can pre-book group-visit tickets or Club stand space by contacting Michael Sands at the-sands@ntlworld.com or by writing to him at Brooklands Museum, Brooklands Road, Weybridge, KT13 0QN.
Old 26-Mar-2012, 20:44
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Don't forget to add it to our Events Calendar so people can see it coming and also sign up for reminders to be emailed, etc.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-May-2012, 09:19

yep add it to the calender, i am a member at brooklands, so it only cost me £2 to get into Auto italia at the weekend, there was a good turnout of vehicles considering the weather, i took my bike up there, and a few other italian bikes were there, action on the mercedes test track claimed a countach that ended up in the gravel....doh always a good day out at brooklands