Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 18-Jul-2003, 00:26
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
basically he is doing all that can be expected of him, he has gone out and built a sizeable championship lead and now no longer has to win every race. Its not so different from moto GP where Rossi (and before him Dohan) runs away with the Honda cup.
Very few riders have lapped faster on a 999 (just Xaus occasionally)., having to turn up at most race tracks with very little in the way of set-up data. Who is to say that if Edwards was still in WSB on a SP2, Hodgson on a 999 wouldn't be beating him.
Old 18-Jul-2003, 02:02
Montjuic
Bikes: 998R.

Mood: Onshore and happy.
I agree that he is doing all that is expected of him but the point is,who is his competition.?
Xaus has proved that if he manages to stay on the bike nobody can look at him.
There is a reason nobody (apart from Xaus)has gone quicker than Hodgson on a 999.
Nobody else races them yet.
Ducati don't make 999rs's for anyone yet.
Even next year the only other team that will be racing 999's next year will be GSE.
If they are still racing world superbike.
Even they are getting fed up with the championship.
It's difficult getting sponsors in the first place but keeping them interested in a championship that is dying a death is very difficult.
GSE realise this and are now trying to move to gp.
Granted nobody can say that if Edwards was still in superbike Hodgson wouldn't win,but who is to say that he would win.?
He didn't do much against him last year.
Old 18-Jul-2003, 08:26
Ducati Corse

Just surprised really at the reaction Hodgson seems to get on this board. Generally appears to be ambivalent or hostile.

My view of him changed in 2000 when he stalled on pole at round 13 of BSB at Olton, then road the wheels off it from the back of the grid to win by a clear margin. Realised then he had star quality. As for this year I thing the racing in WSB has been far closer and more exciting than last year - Leguna Seca was unbelievable as was the second race at Silverstone - Moto GP is becoming a boring procession.

I haven't forgotten that Hodgy beat Bostrom and Xaus on Dunlops and a year old bike in 2002 and took it to Bayliss and Edwards a few times when it was recognised that the Michelins (and machinery) they had were in a different class. He's on the number 1 bike because he's the best rider in WSB and because he's earned it.

He now appears to be the best British hope for Moto GP - shouldn't that delight us?
Old 18-Jul-2003, 09:42
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
I like him more now than I did last year. But I just find he whinges a bit (like Hizzy) which I hate in a racer. If a result doesn't go his way he moans about the tyres or how the front is cr*p or something.

You look at Toseland or Walker and they just get on with it. Perhaps their expectation levels are different. I don't know.
Old 18-Jul-2003, 10:34
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood

I certainly would have hailed Bayliss as a 'virtually British' world champ!
Old 18-Jul-2003, 10:40
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood

Also just to say, I think it is just him I don't like. I like your sort of 'having a laugh' and 'loving every minute' sort of racer. Like for example Shakey Byrne/Troy Bayliss. They are just having a crack and feel like they are the luckiest people alive because they get paid to ride motorbikes.

Hodgy just seems like he is not necessarily enjoying it - although since the WSB competition for wins has hotted up (last 3 rounds really) he seems to be enjoying it more.
Old 18-Jul-2003, 14:34
Mille

Go Hodgson... for christ's sake lets get behind this guy, my son and I met him a couple of years ago and he was more than happy to talk and have his photo taken.... more than can be said for some. I for one (and my son) will be rooting for Hodgson
Old 18-Jul-2003, 14:39
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Ah! that age old issue....."Brit Knockers" if you will pardon the expression. The history book records who was the champion not the manner in which it was done.

If it was a popularity contest who would catch Chili or Walker??

You also need to bear in mind the major influence tyres have on things.
DangerXaus is without doubt the most spectacular rider out there, he now has front tyre he is happy with. (maybe Lavilla who has been spectacular spinning the bike up from time to time)

Where is Ben Bostrom now?, in 2001?? he had 5 wins on the trot then then job fell apart.

Ray
Old 18-Jul-2003, 15:22
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood

And what nice knockers they are too...

Seriously, if it were Walker or Toseland about to win the WSB I would be over the moon but it isn't so I won't be cheering if Hodgy wins, even if he is really a lovely bloke!
Old 18-Jul-2003, 16:05
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I think the problem here is that there just isn't anyone under the current rules to challenge him/ducati...

Hodgson is a nice guy, but I agree that when he was being overtaken by the likes of Bayliss, Edwards, he couldn't get back past them and away... you could sit here and argue tyres, engines etc, etc all day... look at Laguna, Chilli winning on a two year old bike !!

Since GP became a 4 stroke game, everyone teams/manufacturers/riders all want to switch, and that has left WSB thin on the ground...

I'd love to see him win, but where then?, I'd love to see him have a crack in GP, but I honestly don't think he has that final 5% to challenge any of the big names.

Also what may or may not be of interest.... whilst riding for GSE his only WSB wins were on UK soil.... no other circuit. Whereas GSE have won a race this year with Toseland outside of the UK...

If anything, I imagine that Neil will win, no probs, Stalker won't do much at Brands (he doesn't like it that much), but Xuas and James will be the guys to watch, maybe Shakey or even Kagayama if Suzuki wildcard in.

[Edited on 18-7-2003 by jpmercer]

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit