Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 06-Dec-2005, 22:14
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Minitwins regs - airbox rule

I asked this question by way of a email to the Minitwins organisers via the link on the Minitwins website

How come with a 72bhp limit there is a rule that prevents you from modifying the airbox lid which is common practice on Ducati 2-valve air cooled twins even for road use.
Surely if such a modification was carried out and the bike still remained bellow the 72bhp limit it should not be a issue.

As a previous regular SoT racer I changed to the Ducati Desmo Due series for 2005 but did one NG meeting at Pembrey on my 51bhp 583cc Ducati, to comply with the rules I swapped the drilled airbox lid I normally use for the standard one.

I have since purchased a Ducati 750SS with a view to racing it in some Minitwin races, it should be capable of producing a maximum of 64bhp with race cans, K&N filter and a Dynojet kit, as with the smaller Ducati the filter and jet kit work well with mods to the airbox lid although only a small improvement in bhp is to be gained the bike will still remain 6 to 7 bhp below the class limit.

As such could the ruling on modifying the airbox lid be dropped or modified to allow it permissable for 2 vale air-cooled Ducatis to do this mod providing they stay with in the 72bhp limit
I'm sure this rule will also be of interest to the 620 class riders in Desmo Due who may also be considering entering some Minitwin races in 2006.

Regards

Kevin Ellis
Old 06-Dec-2005, 22:16
MotoGP God

And the Answer came back

Interesting point and as much as we are trying to keep all the bikes competitive it is much easier to enforce one set of rules across the board than have lots of exceptions for specific models.

For the 2006 rules we are allowing the use of Power Commanders and similar devices to encourage non-SV650 machines but I think the existing rules cover all eventualities with the 750SS.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mike
Old 06-Dec-2005, 22:18
MotoGP God

So from what I can make out is if I had a more powerful later model I could spend a couple of Hundred pounds on improving its power output / response but I can't drill or cut holes in the lid of my airbox to try and improve things while remaining under the 72bhp limit.

And I always thought the idea behind Minitwins was cheaper racing ??

I think Desmo Due Class B is the real form of cheaper racing
Old 06-Dec-2005, 22:31
Ducati Meccanica

Helpful huh ?
Old 06-Dec-2005, 22:48
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I think when TP raced last year at Cadwell they made an exception for him re the airbox rule.

I can see where they're coming from though... they write the rules in consideration of the regulars who'll buy a bike appropriate for the series rather than just the occassional guest ride.

Get a fuel injection manifold on your 583 and PC it up!!
Old 06-Dec-2005, 22:53
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

...and if your uncle was a woman, he'd be your aunty!

We got enough rules to complain about over here, why the hell start on Minitwins?!?!?

Old 06-Dec-2005, 23:19
MotoGP God

Yes they did make an exception for TP for the MRO round, but that means most DD racers who may want to ride at a Minitwins round would have to get the same approval. This could happen at several rounds and also for several entries at any given round, so why not just amend the rule to suit.

As for appropriate bikes that basically means fuel injected SV650s and not the odd 2-valve air-cooled Ducati and how would they know how many rounds I would enter, I have done several complete seasons with North Glos including two in Sound of Thunder and also two in Streetstocks where the rules took a little time to evolve and I often use to approcah the club officials with concerns from other riders with regard to rule changes.

So Dom was the bike you raced in one of the rounds a legal Minitwin with unaltered Airbox
Old 06-Dec-2005, 23:58
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Didn't say I disagreed wiv you kev... just sounds like their rules are established and they have enough of a grid not to need to encourage more entries.
Get Nino drunk and ask him to fight your corner!
Old 07-Dec-2005, 00:00
MotoGP God

Nick at North Glos Pembrey rounds they could fit another 10 on the grid, I doubt if that would apply to Thruxton, Brands, Silverstone and Donny, it may apply at Darley Moor.
May have to see if NG want to make an exception as they only adopt the Minitwin regs they could easily enough add there own ammendment, especially if it will help encourage others to enter.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 00:04
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
So Dom was the bike you raced in one of the rounds a legal Minitwin with unaltered Airbox

Legal???

Pah!!

Legal is for losers

What airbox?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit