Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Feb-2009, 18:39
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
tried a 1198S at Snells the other day. The weather was cold but the roads were at least not wet. This is the first 10-11 I have tried. I currently have a 996R.
First impressions. The bike itself is of course a major leap forward. Feels much more modern, well put together and thought out. The riding position is still much the same but it somehow feels less agressive. Seat feels like sitting on a plate.
The clocks I think are great. Good info and clear.
The engine is really strong and unfortunately sounds less exciting that mine. however clearly it has superb pulling power and seems to pull evenly across the rev range. It is very fast without feeling that it is. 90mph seems to come very quickly.
Steers more quickly than the 9 range as well. Lighter wheels perhaps.
Brakes exceptional but the noise of a landing millenium falcon is really annoying.
I think it had regular suspension settings and seemed to be "bouncy" in that guise.
Throttle response and injection seem to be faultless. Tried to upset it without success. Even the gear change has improved significantly.
Fortunately some things remain the same. The mirrors can only be used in a "elbows out, riding a Suzuki Fizzie" position and the steering lock is ****.
All in all I think it is a brilliant bike. Really takes it to the Jap 4s but still distinctly Ducati and some of the 9 quirks have gone so more likely to be attractive to jap 4 defectors.
Not sure how much better than the 1098 it is. Dealer said the differences were traction contol (which accoring to one mechanic doesn't work with slick tyres) and the engine being smoother. Is that a benefit though?
Old 24-Feb-2009, 09:08
Mille

Mood: Running in 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilo006
"elbows out, riding a Suzuki Fizzie" position

do you mean Yamaha fizzy or Suzuki AP50? ;-)

seriously though last Ducati I had was a 996R a few years ago and now considering an 848 so read your post with interest!