Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 07-Dec-2005, 02:45
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Yes I rang ahead before I entered Minitwins at MRO to explain the airbox thing because it was the only issue I was illegal on. Unfortunately for you Kev I was granted my exception by the MRO organiser and not the Minitwins organiser. Dave was fine because he realised with my meagre 62hp I wouldn't be threatening the leaders.

I must admit I'm very disappointed with the response from the MT organiser on a few issues lately - it seems it should be the SV cup!
Old 07-Dec-2005, 03:28
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
If you haven't already seen my post at NG then you might be interested to read this:

"One of the problems I can see is that the rules were designed around SV650's so, where certain mods that give a performance boost to an SV are not specifically excluded, this automatically discriminates against other bikes because either they don't work on those other bikes are they can't physically be done on those other bikes.

See below for such an example."

"Ironically, with an SV you can jack up the tank to allow more fresh air in and effectively increase the airbox volume as the tank forms part of the seal to the air filter. This is a well-known mod that gives serious power increases in the mid-range and a few more at the top end. This is permissible under the existing rules.

Yet you are not being allowed a DP airbox lid or a few extra holes in your airbox.

That doesn't seem right to me. "

Clearly here the application of the rules favours the Suzuki.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 12:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Ironically, with an SV you can jack up the tank to allow more fresh air in and effectively increase the airbox volume as the tank forms part of the seal to the air filter. This is a well-known mod that gives serious power increases in the mid-range and a few more at the top end. This is permissible under the existing rules.

Wait a cotton-picking minute - doesnt that constitute modifying the airbox - its called lifting the airbox lid in my book !
That kind of thing could be tried - lift the tank an inch and then lift the airbox lid to butt up against it.
Given that the airbox lid has such a puny hole as std, an inch gap all across the front alone would be about 4 times the area.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 14:07
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
Originally posted by phil_h
Given that the airbox lid has such a puny hole as std, an inch gap all across the front alone would be about 4 times the area.

Approx. 4.17362 x more
Old 07-Dec-2005, 14:42
Ducati Corse

It's one of the inconsistencies in the rules. If doesn't actually affect the air box or its lid but, the results are pretty much the same. Really, it's case of pedantry - it amounts to the same thing. If that is permitted then Skids 750ss should be allowed a modded airbox lid.
Old 08-Dec-2005, 10:06
Ducati Corse

Ooops! Someone didn't like having some pertinent questions being asked about the even-handedness and consistency of the minitwin regs. The thread has been removed from NG's website.
Old 08-Dec-2005, 11:53
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I asked for the thread to be pulled,
I had the answers to my questions and any outstanding points I will discuss with the relevant people at NG club.
I wanted to know what I was allowed and not allowed to do to my 750SS, not what was going on with SV650s with regards to the rules.
The initial questions I asked and the answers I received were getting lost in what was turning into a lengthy thread.
I Have copied the relevent posts so I can refer to them when discussing things with the appropriate people at NG.
Old 21-Dec-2005, 20:16

Having already answered your air box questions twice, once in email and than once on the NG forum, I am surprised you felt the need to bring it up yet again. If the bike isn't suitable or you really need that very final 0.5 hp (or whatever negligible amount the modified air box gives you) then maybe you should concentrate a bit more on your riding rather than worrying about the bike.

As for the risers to lift the front of the tank on the SV650s, as I've already pointed out in email and on the NG forum that they are illegal according to both the 2005 and 2006 rules. Why spoil things by continuing to ignore the fact that we police the series based on those rules and people have previously been pulled up for contravening them on that very point?

The rules are there for all bikes and are not focused on the SV650 in any way. As the MRO series for 2006 will have a factory backed Kawasaki ER-6 on the grid isn't it rather sad that we don't have more support from the Ducati contingent?

The various MiniTwins series are more than happy to see lots of Ducati machines during 2006 and we will do our best to accommodate you (see certain rule changes for 2006) but, please, let's all stick to the same set of rules to make it fair for everyone across the country. Trying to encourage different rules at different clubs will only see the series shrink and create confusion as to what is a legitimate MiniTwins bike and what isn't.
Old 21-Dec-2005, 20:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Edwards
Having already answered your air box questions twice, once in email and than once on the NG forum, I am surprised you felt the need to bring it up yet again.

Scuse me, this thread was running in parallel to my thread on the NG forum and up until your post today has sat with out any futher input for 2 weeks, which suggests to me you came looking for it.
As a fully paid up member of both the DSC and NG I feel I have every right to post either questions or my views on either of the forums and make fellow club members/friends aware of any of the answers and debates that have gone on.
As this club has somewhere in the region of 65 members going racing in 2006 we can safely say there is a healthy Ducati contingent out there on the track.
As I mentioned I have no interest in what the SV owners are doing to there bikes only what I am allowed to do to my Ducati which will comply with the 2006 Minitwin rules and will be well below the 72bhp class limit.
Old 21-Dec-2005, 20:52
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Edwards
Having already answered your air box questions twice, once in email and than once on the NG forum, I am surprised you felt the need to bring it up yet again.

Scuse me, this thread was running in parallel to my thread on the NG forum and up until your post today has sat with out any futher input for 2 weeks, which suggests to me you came looking for it.
As a fully paid up member of both the DSC and NG I feel I have every right to post either questions or my views on either of the forums and make fellow club members/friends aware of any of the answers and debates that have gone on.
As this club has somewhere in the region of 65 members going racing in 2006 we can safely say there is a healthy Ducati contingent out there on the track.
As I mentioned I have no interest in what the SV owners are doing to there bikes only what I am allowed to do to my Ducati which will comply with the 2006 Minitwin rules and will be well below the 72bhp class limit.

Good on yu fella I been sitting here waiting for that response.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit