Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Apr-2009, 22:12
Bevel Head
Bikes: 998s bostrom rep, yamaha r7, yamaha r1sp.

Mood: sustained at the mo
748 wobbly rear wheel.. help

i am a novice to working on bikes,. anyway i was out on my 748, and whilst cornering i noticed the bike was unsettled, it felt like the rear wheel was trying to run wide of the front causing it to wobble in the corners. when i got back i wobbled the back wheel and it moved slightly, the arm did not seem to move just the wheel. will this just be wheel bearings or possibley the hub. i know this is how long is a piece of string but can anyone advise if they have had this before. the bike has only done 8K miles.
Old 20-Apr-2009, 22:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
wheel bearings
Old 20-Apr-2009, 23:33
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Depends on what sort of wheels you've got, seem to remember reading somewhere that if you've got five spoke wheels it's fairly easy to mount the wheel incorrectly so that the wheel doesn't mount on the hub correctly, but then all of my dukes have had a double sided swingarm so I've no real experience of single siders

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 21-Apr-2009, 00:17
Mille
Bikes: Multistraddle S, Cucciolo

Mood: Blown away!
It's unlikely to be bearings after just 8k miles (but anything's possible I suppose). I would start by taking off the wheel (making a mental note of the tightness of the nut) and looking for damage to the back face of the wheel and drive pin holes. If the nut's been loose there is likely to be secondary damage to the wheel I'm afraid, but you might get away with using the 'spare' drive pin holes.

Don't ride it until you've fixed the problem.

Good luck!! PS, if you fill in your location I'm sure one of us will help get the problem fixed. Bit difficult to offer not knowing where you are.

Last edited by injected : 22-Apr-2009 at 18:44.
Old 21-Apr-2009, 09:18
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep,make sure the pins on the hub are correctly inserted into the holes in the wheel.They are fairly easy to miss and then the pins sit in the machined grooves.Done it myself when I got distracted while fitting the rear wheel on my old Multistrada.(Found my mistake before riding it tho!)
Old 21-Apr-2009, 11:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Wheel nuts can/do come loose but stay in place because the safety clip is doing it's job. The nut can even feel tight because it's nipped up on the clip.
8/10 this usually leads to the drive pins being damaged or sheared. Worst case is that the hub of the wheel gets mullered.....
get it took off and you'll know from there.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 15:35
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Has the wheel been powder coated? If yes, check that the surface under the conical spacer was masked off, otherwise the coating can crush and allow the nut to work loose. Personal experience.

Spin