Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Sep-2004, 18:36
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
I agree, I don't think Ducati have done themselves or their recent customers any favours here.

I for one would even contemplate putting money down for an 05 999S if my money wasn't already down for a Paul Smart 1000 .. and then thinking about the Multistrada S (Or Neil Spaldings Multistrada R!) ...

Maybe I should just finish mine off (slipper, rearsets etc etc) before I spend more on another bike.

And yes Mark, I know.

I must get a Paul Smart 1000
I must get a Paul Smart 1000 .. repeat ad nauseum

(my bluddy C&P wasn't working then - how annoying ...)

Well, I've been down to Ducati London Central today and had a look at an 05 999. It looks good in black, and I have to say that it's the first of that shape that I've looked at and thought, that looks nice.

A 999s with pretty much the same spec as a 04 'R' .... hrmmm ....

[Edited on 25-9-2004 by tp-996]
Old 25-Sep-2004, 21:06
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
Ducati have done this for years with their engines, one year its in the limited edition bike then it filters down to the models further down the line a year or so later, usually a few grand cheaper. A classic case is the 996sps engine into the 996s, and yes I was caught out by that one. Cant see what the big fuss is about as it was obvious what was going to happen.
Old 26-Sep-2004, 00:24
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by big ash
Why would you want to get a 04/03 999r, when the future 999 basic is going to kick its arse and save you around 3 to 4 grand on a new bike to a s/hand R. Ducati have had all their testing done for them by all the 02, 03 & 04 999 purchasers. and after all the problems we (especialy i) have had with a 999s, ducati repay us by building a more powerful base model (05)better and cheaper than the old R. Thank god i did not by an R otherwise i would have been on for blowing 8k instead of 4k, thats 2000 pints of carlsberg for me thankyou very much. Ducati have tacken the _ISS, thats fact, they will not take the _iss again. Exclusivity means nothing anymore to Ducati. PROFIT & NUMBERS DO.

Hmm,yeah but lets not forget that the '05 S and R models have also been uprated.No way will the standard 999 be a better bike than an R.
MCN has hyped up the standard bike in its usual hysterical way.Yup its got more bhp and now lighter than before.
But as the great bard Bart Simpson says,"Hey,kids out there in tv land,you are being duped".Ducati now quote bhp at the crank and have taken a leaf out of the Japs book by measuring the weight bone dry.(Ive been looking at an '05 brochure.)Probably no battery either!
I'll be swapping my '02 bike for an '05 standard mono 999 'cos thats what my wife will be able to afford.
I would love it even more if it was an R tho!
Old 26-Sep-2004, 01:21
Ducati Corse

Quote:
It looks good in black, and I have to say that it's the first of that shape that I've looked at and thought, that looks nice
Have to agree .. I'll be looking at it very seriously in the spring, as an everyday hack you understand
Old 26-Sep-2004, 12:08

Mood: like a pig in sh_t!
Quote:
Originally posted by chillo
compared to the 05 'stock' 999 and 999s, the 999r looks like extremely poor value for money, i know it always been ducati's marketing but this time i think they have got it wrong in respect of the 05 range.
I won't now be buying the new 'r'. The only bike now worth a premium is a desmodici, but i think that is 10k overpriced. It should be 25k, then my dough is on the table.
There isn't the exclusivity anymore to warrant the price premium on 999r, even reading the official blurb on ducati.com doesn't have that much to get you going about the new bike! after reading about the other 2.
My guess is there will be lots of 'r's sat in dealers showrooms getting dusty!

Absolutly correctamundo!

Though the black is still quite tempting, it would definatly be a bip for me as i understand you can't have a mono stocker in black(why the hell not), & then mono & trick it up for £2500.00 and still have change for a lovely S2R Monster at £5995.00 and thats before a bad bid first.

ATTENTION ALL DUCATI STORES

Arrange to get plenty of pledge & dusters in for your 'R's