Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Sep-2004, 18:16
Big Twin

I didnt think about the warranty...its got a year to go. Can I wait until I get to 6k or will it HAVE to be done 12 months from registration? Will that mean it'll have to be a main dealer service?
Old 29-Sep-2004, 18:20
Big Twin

BTW...the warranty is transferrable to the new owner isn't it?
Old 29-Sep-2004, 19:00
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Khu,

I have just called Rab at Ducati Glasgow to have the warranty questions answered for you.....

Here goes........

The warranty goes with the bike so yes is transferable to the new owner. He warned against not having the 2nd service done by a Ducati main dealer because Ducati UK could use it as an excuse not to pay out under the warranty scheme should the bike develop any faults, although it appears a situation like this would be rare. Basic party line get it serviced as required until the warranty runs out then get it serviced by someone recommended by the good peeps here on the DSC by 1 of the independants who would probably do a better job.

Second service is 12 months OR 6000 Miles which ever occurs FIRST so it is due soon.

He also pointed out something worth considering.

DKS Imports got 100 of the 749's as unofficial imports which do not have recognised Ducati warranties, they come with an insurance type warranty. They were sold for 7k new so therefore a wee bit cheaper. The best way to tell is to check and make sure the warranty paperwork is official Ducati UK stuff and not one of these off the pegs policy's. Secondly call Ducati UK and quote the frame number etc and they will tell you if it is an import from DKS.

If it is the choice to buy is down to you, and a decision only you can make.

With only 1 year of the warranty left if it was a DKS import you could again use this as a tool to lever the price down further........

Choices Choices.....Over to you mate!!!

Enjoy!!

Old 29-Sep-2004, 20:27
Big Twin

ScottyB, you're a f*****g legend. Cheers mate.
I'll get onto the seller now and get the frame number!

How come the second service costs so much...Ive been ringing around, and they are all £450+...?

The seller bought the bike from Veloce in Norfolk, and I rang them about the second service, they asked me how many miles the bike had done (1600), and then said the 12 monthly service would only cost £150?? Im a bit confused now

Does anyone know what exactly is involved in the first 12 monthly service...taking into account that the bike has only covered 1600 miles?
Old 30-Sep-2004, 07:59
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Sounds like you were being quoted for an interim service.As the bike has'nt done many miles,stuff like valve clearances and belts wont need looking at.
Quite common these days.
Old 30-Sep-2004, 15:29
Big Twin

Ive checked with Ducati, it is a UK bike, but, and a big BUT....I've now found out its had some warranty work done on it (other than the oil cooler recall).

Apparently, at approximately 170 miles into its short life, some swarf in the oil caused the engine (including one of the cams...well, at least thats what they told me) to seize up, and it had a replacement cylinder head under warranty. The other head was deemed to be OK.

As you can imagine, I'm somewhat concerned about this. Do you think it'll still be OK, or should I walk away before I make a big mistake?
Old 30-Sep-2004, 17:53
500SD

Done under warranty so it should have been repaired correctly.

Ask the seller why he never declared the work and see what the reaction you get is

I would not let it put me off too much, again use it as a tool to get a good price.

It is 1 of these scenarios KHU if you have the ready cash wave it under his face and make it out as if you are doing him a favour.

Just buy it, you know you want to!!!!!

Old 30-Sep-2004, 19:07
Big Twin

lol....is it that obvious! Of course I want it!! Just wanna make sure Im getting the right one!

I don't know if the fact that its had warranty work (especially on the engine) will devalue the bike when I come to sell it (you never know...I may move up to a 999R )?

[Edited on 30-9-2004 by khu996]
Old 30-Sep-2004, 20:00
500SD

I doubt if it will devalue it.

These things happen, to be honest not many people would go to all the trouble of researching the history like you have done, they would be too lazy.

Get your **** on the phone HPI check it and buy it at a steal........
Old 30-Sep-2004, 20:29
Big Twin

Yeah, it worries me that the seller didnt originally disclose this to me, only when I asked for frame and engine numbers did he get a guilty concience!

Even Veloce in Norwich were a bit cagey. When I originally asked if the bike was straight and if any work had been done on it, they said no. But then the seller spoke to them and said he would have to tell me, and I rang them back, and they were on the defensive. Hasn't put much confidence in Ducati dealers if they're all like Veloce!