Ducati Sporting Club UK
Alarms and Related Security
For the discussion of Alarms, Immobilisers, Trackers, Locks, Ground Anchors and other forms of motorcycle security.

Old 27-Jan-2011, 08:36
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati 748r-853r / SF 1098s

Mood: ...much happier.
Talking Datatool Demon

Need to get a replacement bike alarm....

Ron Parkinsons recommended the Meta Alarm, 357tv2 (£320 install inc VAT) due to being able to cope with bike vibrations, but I am wondering if it's worth holding out for the new Demon Datatool, which is going to be released in Feb.

Looking to get an all round view that I am making the right choice.

http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/p...?product=demon

Any advice appreciated.

Ash
Old 27-Jan-2011, 08:58
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
I expect i will get shot down for this, i dont believe in alarms if your honest with your self how often have you heard an alarm going off and actualy gone and looked to see if some piky was stealing a bike/car/breaking into a house ? A bike can be thrown in a van and off in less time than it takes to read this.

A good chain around a solid object or another bike when your out and about in town is a far better deterent, and when at home locked in the garage with added ground anchor etc.

i use bike-trac if the bike gets moved i get a text so do others on my list, you can see the bikes location on line so a good chance of getting it back.

Just my preference i expect others have different views.
Old 27-Jan-2011, 12:18
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicle
I expect i will get shot down for this, i dont believe in alarms if your honest with your self how often have you heard an alarm going off and actualy gone and looked to see if some piky was stealing a bike/car/breaking into a house ? A bike can be thrown in a van and off in less time than it takes to read this.

Just my preference i expect others have different views.

Not me - totally agree - but sometimes it's an insurance requirement.
Old 27-Jan-2011, 12:47
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbett
Not me - totally agree - but sometimes it's an insurance requirement.

Same sentiments here...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 27-Jan-2011, 13:24
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I've had two meta alarms and a number of datatool alarms over the last 10 or so years.

My preference is for the datatool ones. They work for longer before failing in my experience.

Both meta alarms developed faults with the movement sensors after 3 to 4 years, and started going off all the time. Alarms were removed as the cost to replace was the same as original fitting.
Two of the datatool alarms developed faults and needed new pcbs to be fitted, but this was after about 5 years. I was able to buy these from a wholesaler and fit them myself (from memory it cost £35 for the pcb alone, or £85 with a new pair of remotes - to upgrade to the latest veto evo style from an older version).
I've also had some datatool alarms that have worked flawlessly for longer than this, just incase your expecting them to all fail eventually

I don't have alarms on my current bikes, both of which have factory imobilisers. If someone wants them bad enough they will take them regardless of what you do, ground anchors, chains, etc can all be defeated with the right equipment.
A mate who is now on here too had his blade stolen outside a hotel. It was disc-locked front & rear, alarmed, and chained to iron railings. Went in the middle of the night and no one saw a thing...
Old 27-Jan-2011, 13:59
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Just to put my two pennys worth in.
Out of choice I wouldn't go to the expense of having an Alarm fitted. My bike came with a Datatool alarm (Evo I think) and so I have left it. It works as it should. The main problem is the operator. I quite often get in a muddle and try and start it when it's armed and then not wait long enough and the thing goes off.
Old 31-Jan-2011, 22:21
Bevel Head

Thanks for your views, useful.

Both Newcombe Brothers and Ron Parkinson in Colchester were promoting the Bike-trac as opposed to an alarm (just read up about it in the last 20mins - genius!). Defo sold with this.

The lifting and throwing into the van thing was self-evident when my last Fridays bike pick-up service had no ramp to get the bike into the van...so now I'm getting a little nervous and am thinking a solid bike anchor is in order when at it's permanent residence, in addition to current chains.

Due to being on the move all the time, I need to find someone who can install a decent anchor on my behalf (happy to cross palms with silver). The cylindrical anchor I saw in Newcombes is about 2-3 foot long, which needs to be set in concrete. I'm thinking you need a numatic drill to dig down to the required depth inc a bag of cement. Can't see doing this by a hand chisel. Hmmm... more research required on this.
Old 31-Jan-2011, 23:08
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Been there, done that...

http://www.ukrm.info/accessories/antegroundanch.html

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 31-Jan-2011, 23:19
Bevel Head

great