Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 13-Jun-2005, 13:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
TT, leave it alone or time for the nanny state to act?

Every year some don't make it to the end of the TT fortnight, be it racer, marshal or spectator.

In two years time its the centenary for the TT. Is this a dinasaur that should be extinct or one of the last great road racing challenges left?

Can it be made safer?

Have you ever set foot on the island and experienced what some say is one of the must do trips for bikers?

Ray.

[Edited on 13-6-2005 by Ray]
Old 13-Jun-2005, 14:03
500SD

I have only been to the TT once, back in 95 but what an awsome experience. It is the only event I can think of that allows you to get within inches of the action. It is the danger and excitement that brings racers and spectators to the island. The risks are known and people should be allowed to make their choice.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 14:14
500SD

Mood: DOH!
A couple of years ago 1 rider was killed in the Japanes Moto GP at Suzuka, we now do not have a Moto GP round at Suzuka.
A few months back a few people crashed at Mallory park BSB round. Everyone was up in arms about how can we keep racing there, the superbikes have outgrown the place etc.
Recently in AMA the superbikes didn't race at Daytona since the risk of tyres disintegrating was too high.
This week 3 riders and a marshall die at the TT but it was their choice to be there so it's ok.
Go figure.
I'm with Michael on this one and have been for years, it is unacceptable to me that this race continues, and riders continue to die.
Im all for choice and agree that more climbers die but taken in context, there are many more climbers are there not?
I didn't speak out on this post before out of respect for Gus Scott, who I had a very great deal of time and respect for.

I have copied this reply from it's original place. I for one find the TT in it's present form to be totally unacceptable. I also find the comments on knowing the risk etc. to be banal at best.
Every time any of us go out on our machines, road or track, there is an element of risk. We all know this and accept it. But, and it's a big but, can any of you honestly say that you accept that you may die? I don't think so, and I don't think TT riders do either.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 14:30
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Allways a difficult one this. I've never been to the TT as it's not really my thing and the 89 TT pretty much finished it for me, but I have been to the Manx GP a few times when a mate raced and I allways felt relieved when his races were over.
But I don't want to be telling others what they can and can't do - and we have to remember there are some who would like bikes banned completely.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 14:36
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Following on, if we drop the TT, then do we also drop Jurby, Ballabeg and the rest?
How about all of the Irish road races too?
I would never race myself, I personally think the risks involved are too great, but that's my personal view.
I don't impose it on others and respect their decision to do as they choose.
Having just been to the Island, albeit 2 weeks prior to the TT, I can tell you that there are a lot of folk over there who don't want to lose the races and I think they are perhaps in a better position to comment than some of us over here.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 14:37
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I have lots of mates that race in the TT and the MGP and they do it because they want to, it does worry me that internationals turn up for the TT without going to the Manx GP first, saying that the Manx is not what it was it has got to fast for a majority of the riders. Just looking at some of the lap times there are people out there lapping on the latest superbikes slower than Adrian did on my 400 last year. Maybe they should be restricted on the type of bike they ride until the achieve a certain level. The Manx Senior being restricted to 1000cc twins and 750-4s max was a good isea originally but now the latest GSXR750 is so fast just look how Davy Morgan got on last week on the same bike he won last years Manx Senior on.
I love going to the Island and the local Manx people that I know have grown up with the TT and Open speed limits in areas and they Love there road racing as do all the irish that attend.
I don't want it to be stopped as long as riders are still willing to go, most of them paying through the nose for th privalage, but some sensible precautions would not go a miss.
Machine capacity to suit skill levels, amount of races a rider can take part in during the race week, proper instruction on the course layout.
There are some good racers that turn up at the TT for their first Road Race and as such are novices and maybe they should be treated/looked after as such.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 14:40
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I'm for and against the TT, I've been once when I first got into biking, and I did think the experience was truly amazing and nothing can compare to it.

Half of me likes the way the TT has stuck to it's old traditions whether that be the times etc in chalk on a blackboard, the way the bikes are refueled etc, the marshalling and the inherent risk the roads bring. But we're talking traditions going back to when bikes were a hell of a lot slower even before the likes of Hailwood and Agostini.

We are in a nanny state yes, but having a machine with 200HP capable of 200mph through the streets without the kind of run offs etc, that would be a standard criteria in any other form of motorsport.

Keep the TT, keep the old school pits/leaderboard but throw some money at the island and make the lap safer by whatever means, airfences, run off's etc
Old 13-Jun-2005, 14:43
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
amount of racing must have an impact - didnt really think about it biut last night watched some highlights and 6 laps, flat out 222 miles??
Old 13-Jun-2005, 14:52
MotoGP God

Desmo Due class for island Novices sounds about right to me.
400s are a good size but all are old bikes and mechanical failures may cause problems, even proddy 600s are as you say to quick these days.
Prody spec Mini Twins would suit a novice. Just suspension sorting, aeroquip hoses etc.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:05
MotoGP God

Unlike the Manx GP the TT does not have a newcomers race, but I'm not actually sure what that means at the Manx GP anymore other than you are new to the island, I don't think it places any restrictions on the riders or does it exclude them from the senior race. It was only a couple of years ago when the Manx GP newcomers was won with a time of around 118mph if I recall correctly

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit