Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Apr-2006, 21:20
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Clutch (Again). Bit of Advice Please

well i got all the plates out and managed to clean them up without any major mishaps and it seems to have made quite a bit of difference. it's still slipping a little bit when i test it by doing a high gear "roll-on", but in the lower gears it seems reasonably ok.

however, when i had the plates out, it was clear that the friction plates are not much longer for this world - they're all very low and one was almost down to the metal.

is replacing the plates something i can do myself - ie: is it just a case of opening the packet and slotting the plates in in the correct order, or is there more to it than that? is there any set-up required due to the change in thickness of the new plates compared to the old ones?

if it's something i can do myself, i will do.... where is the best place to buy plates and are there any upgrades (i've read that aluminium "steels" were a good upgrade)?

thanks as always
Old 03-Apr-2006, 21:49
Dibble

yes, its as easy as you just said, call Nelly, he will advise the best clutch plates, apparently there is a sensible cost upgrade, just can't remember the correct plate set ..... if you get them from Nelly he'll send them out in the correct order of plain / friction plates so you can just slot the pack straight in ....

www.cornerspeed.co.uk
Old 03-Apr-2006, 22:17
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
Where abouts in the country are you mate? You never know, some kind soul may come round and lend an expert hand if you're in their area, all for the price of a cuppa or two. Me in wilts/hants border.
Old 03-Apr-2006, 22:51
Ducati Corse

You want a set of ST4S alloy friction plates.

Be aware though that even when they are new they don't have as much material on them as you might expect! I got quite a supprise when i opened up my first set!

Its worth going over the steel plates with fine glass paper if you didn't already do that.
Old 03-Apr-2006, 23:01
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by raykay748R
Where abouts in the country are you mate? You never know, some kind soul may come round and lend an expert hand if you're in their area, all for the price of a cuppa or two. Me in wilts/hants border.

i'm in "that lundun" worst luck. what a place to own a ducati - no wonder my clutch is on it's way out!
Old 03-Apr-2006, 23:05
Dibble

where in London Zhed ??? i'm in SE .. there are a fair few of us about ...
Old 03-Apr-2006, 23:06
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
You want a set of ST4S alloy friction plates.

Be aware though that even when they are new they don't have as much material on them as you might expect! I got quite a supprise when i opened up my first set!

Its worth going over the steel plates with fine glass paper if you didn't already do that.

are the st4 plates better (grippier) or just lighter? do you get alloy "steels" as well, or have i read the interweb wrong (i think i saw that last bit on sigma's website)

i gave the steels a bit of a rub with 120(i think) paper, but that looked a bit extreme so i just went at them with a scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease. i also cleaned up the friction plates with brake cleaner and a cloth. it seems to have done the trick .................for now

thanks

[Edited on 3-4-2006 by zhed44]
Old 03-Apr-2006, 23:09
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
where in London Zhed ??? i'm in SE .. there are a fair few of us about ...

way, way north - just south of friern barnet/arnos grove area.

it's lovely of you to offer, but if it's as simple as everyone is saying, then given that i managed to get the olds plates out and in again not only without breaking or losing anything, but also with a marked improvement, then even i should be able to manage on my todd!
Old 03-Apr-2006, 23:16
Ducati Corse

The alloy plates are a lot quieter and they don't bash the basket as much as steel ones. I haven't found any downsides apart from them costing a couple of quid more that steel ones. There probably is some power advantage becasue they are lighter but i doubt you'd notice.
I think my last set came with all the steel driven plates as well.
Old 03-Apr-2006, 23:19
500SD

one other thing i'd like to pick your brains on please - what's the easiest way to fish the last few plates out? i had a "one screwdriver in each hand, tongue poking out of the corner of my mouth" thing going on, but it was pretty damn fiddly.