Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-May-2004, 14:58
500SD

Correct Harv, which is exactly the reason why I thought this was the problem, the yoke being tight to fit.

Ziggi, you've just answered your own question. If you had to do all that to get the yoke on then the offset is definitely wrong.

Looks like you'll need to get your original yoke back!

Cheers, Neil.
Old 28-May-2004, 16:23
888 at Last !!!

Thanks everyone for your help - you know how it is when you change something and think "oh bugga, what 'ave I done"
Old 28-May-2004, 16:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ziggi
To fit this new yoke I have to offer it up - it won't go straight on so I have to hold the front brake and push the forks down and push on the yoke so it fits on the centre nut. Any other way and the centre nut don't line up with the middle yoke hole.

That is quite normal if the weight of the bike is on the front wheel or fork lowers as the weight of the bike tries to push the towards the ground and moves the front axle slightly forward. If wheel is on the ground applying the front brakee and rocking forward allows the top yoke to drop into place. Sounds to me as though you have disturbed the top bearing nut, the one that comes through the centre of the top yoke and have it to tight, putting to much pressure on your head race bearings. I would try backing it off 1/8th to a 1/4 of a turn.

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by skidlids]
Old 28-May-2004, 17:29
500SD

Good point Kev, and worth checking before incurring any further expense.
Old 28-May-2004, 19:31
Ducati Corse

Ziggi,i have fitted your yoke without any problems at all.It went straight on,If there was a difference surely yours woudn't have gone on the 748!It's not a problem if you want it back.I honestly can't see ANY difference and there is no way,imho,that changing the yokes should effect the steering.But i've been wrong many times before!!!
Old 28-May-2004, 19:57
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Ziggi anyway you can take a pic and post it. We might be able to see something that you can't.
Old 28-May-2004, 20:23
888 at Last !!!

OK, so that large centre nut - the one with the long slot and the holes round the edges, that's supposed to turn is it? I've taken off the yoke and tried to move the centre nut and I can't move it. I was a little over zealous with the hammer trying to put it on first time, until I discovered the front brake trick. So I think skids is right and I've put too much pressure on the centre nut and hence on the head racers.

So how do I turn the centre nut ?
Old 28-May-2004, 20:23
888 at Last !!!

Jasper - I'm sure it's me who's done something wrong - no worries mate.
Old 28-May-2004, 20:39
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Can't move it ! maybe it is to tight then, I use a set of right-angled circlip pliers that I insert in a couple of the opposing holes.
Old 28-May-2004, 23:32
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I've got a small piece of flat steel plate. I push it into the slot and then put an adjustable spanner on it.