Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 30-Sep-2009, 14:19
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
We've used 5 sets of tyres this season. I reckon class B's could get away with 3-4 sets a year. Anyone want to buy some second hand tyres? because thats what I'll be using this saturday.

I reckon we've spent more money on diesel and petrol for the bike.

We've got our tyres form all matter of sources, my local Honda dealer, Holbeach and Neil at Cornerspeed offered to get me some too but we'd brought them all. Never had a problem and you pays your money and get your tyres, done!

If the Rosso does get through on H then thats an excellent progression, but looking at the race times, these tyres fit the bill well and I have to agree about the Z's probably not good enough for wet or cold days. Model car racing used a set of tyres per race and it got silly....

See you all at the weekend for the last one

Andy
Old 30-Sep-2009, 14:20
seicento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wood
I'd like to know who shot JFK?

Probably someone pushed over the edge thinking abput tyres!!!

They're black round and lets be honest no one makes a bad tyre any more,

"if it aint broke don't fix it"
Old 30-Sep-2009, 14:43
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
I have to agree about the Z's probably not good enough for wet or cold days

Or us slowcoaches

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 30-Sep-2009, 16:24
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys 900ss
We've used 5 sets of tyres this season. I reckon class B's could get away with 3-4 sets a year. Anyone want to buy some second hand tyres? because thats what I'll be using this saturday.

I reckon we've spent more money on diesel and petrol for the bike.

We've got our tyres form all matter of sources, my local Honda dealer, Holbeach and Neil at Cornerspeed offered to get me some too but we'd brought them all. Never had a problem and you pays your money and get your tyres, done!

If the Rosso does get through on H then thats an excellent progression, but looking at the race times, these tyres fit the bill well and I have to agree about the Z's probably not good enough for wet or cold days. Model car racing used a set of tyres per race and it got silly....

See you all at the weekend for the last one

Andy

Just beause you're 2009 Class A Champion you think you know best.....

Errr!...Oh! Hang on a minute you probably do

Congratulations mate a great season and well deseved
Old 30-Sep-2009, 20:43
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Can we have a name for this Pirelli representative? As I have been unable to find anyone in Pirelli who will commit to such a comment.

Well neither can I. I spoke to the guy that was MD of Pirelli up to last year, and is now a Director of Competition Logistics, who provide Pirelli's racing service at BSB.....who I have known a number of years, plus Pirelli's own technical wizard in Germany.....I wont use the flowery language that the CompLog guy used, but basically, it was along the lines of

" Dont be stupid David, firstly, we would never recommend a ZR tyre then change our minds and say it is unsuitable.....in favour of an H rated tyre especially.....what idiot told you that ? "

And much the same was said from Germany too, and both denied that they would issue such utterences in writing anyway. Has anyone actually seen these letters?
Old 01-Oct-2009, 16:01
GTL

Mood: Been Testing the 3 P's (Pizza, Pasta, & PERONI!)
Talking Peace for our time.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
Well neither can I. I spoke to the guy that was MD of Pirelli up to last year, and is now a Director of Competition Logistics, who provide Pirelli's racing service at BSB.....who I have known a number of years, plus Pirelli's own technical wizard in Germany.....I wont use the flowery language that the CompLog guy used, but basically, it was along the lines of

" Dont be stupid David, firstly, we would never recommend a ZR tyre then change our minds and say it is unsuitable.....in favour of an H rated tyre especially.....what idiot told you that ? "

And much the same was said from Germany too, and both denied that they would issue such utterences in writing anyway. Has anyone actually seen these letters?

30th September 1938, Munich:

"This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine (waves paper to the crowd - receiving loud cheers and "Hear Hears"). Some of you, perhaps, have already heard what it contains but I would just like to read it to you........................."

LOL............!!!!
Old 01-Oct-2009, 21:19
Mille

Call them yourself and ask Mark. I have nothing to hide and no axe to grind...and this has bugger all to do with tyres.....this is to do with an MT that bangs on ad nauseum about keeping costs down, and then takes the **** out of any suggestion to change to achieve PRECISELY what they keep banging on about. Its ok to spend £1000 on a rear shock, but you have to keep the std forks.....and use crappy road tyres claiming that the suppliers tell you they are the ones to use and when the people that have to buy them and use them ask to see this documentation, fail to produce it and go all quiet. I'm bloody glad I'm not riding in DD next year. Much as I love the paddock and everyone in it, the politics and organisational claptrap behind it is just complete ********. And I may be the only one to stick my neck on the block but there are a host of others that feel exactly the same way, so dont any of you kid yourselves that it's only me.
Old 01-Oct-2009, 22:36
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Can I make a suggestion here?

Anyone that wants to run different tyres to the current ones, simply has to do ONE thing:

Get a signed letter from the manufacturer stating that their tyres are suitable to use in racing, in both wet and dry weather, for the weight and power made by both classes of bikes.

Once you've got that letter, please come back and post up a copy as it will help us to decide which tyres are suitable for use and those which can be discounted. Until this happens, can I politely suggest that you all STFU about tyres? Kthxby.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 01-Oct-2009, 22:59
Mille

Ah, the letter, that must be similar to the one the powers that be consistantly cant/wont/refuse to make available to those that ride in DD mustnt it?
Well thats not a prob, I could have that letter available to compare with the one that Pirelli sent too........But you miss the point Antonye....this is NOT about tyres alone.........or do you assume what a post says rather than actually reading it?
Old 01-Oct-2009, 23:21
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys 900ss

Andy

Mate, we ran the ZR tyres on both ours from the beginning and you know how they went.
Also who remembers the epic domski and andy j battle in cold torrential rain at brands hatch in early april 2006 when they were banging farings for much of race 1 and never had a tyre issue and both were on the ZRs then.