Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Jan-2005, 20:38
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Sat Jan 15th

Things are still moving along nicely, I have now sourced another engine, this time from a crashed M reg 600 Monster at a cost of £250.
So the bike and spare engine now owe me £1050 which is still at the right end of my budget.

I have been onto Ebay and sourced the Gaskets and O-rings I need from Superlight3 at DUCATISPARESONLINE.CO.UK as I intend to rebuild the original engine.

Popped into Raceparts UK today to get some -3 Braided hose and some banjo fittings to make up new Clutch hoses for mine and senna3's race bikes, I was given a huge discount by my mate there in the way of 100%--RESULT--
Old 16-Jan-2005, 08:06
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

And a bit of Carbon already - happy transplant !!!
Old 16-Jan-2005, 15:32
MotoGP God

Sunday Jan 16th

weather wise a real nice moring one of the best for a while, So tempting to take the 916 for a blast but must get on with jobs on the bikes. Which today included work on my ZXR400L to try and get it ready to sell,
Still had time for the Desmo Due racer though.
Pulled off the Horizontal Barrel, I'm so glad I did, Not only because its the only way to remove a cirlip and extract the gudgeon pin to allow removal of the Piston, but also because the alluminium base gasket was in a right state.

See pics.
Old 16-Jan-2005, 15:37
MotoGP God

Sunday 16th Jan

Engine removal will be easier than I thought, somebody has already started the job for me,
Old 16-Jan-2005, 16:14
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Are you really sure you did the right thing with this one Kev?
Old 16-Jan-2005, 18:36
MotoGP God

I hope so Antony,
with another engine waiting for me to pick it up on Friday then all should be well with that fitted, plus me rebuilding this one as a spare all for under £1150 so far isn't to bad.
Luckily i'm not factoring in any Labour charges.
At least I have had the bike running so I know carbs, ignition etc are all OK.
Old 22-Jan-2005, 18:31
MotoGP God

Not a lot been going on this week, I am now picking the other engine up on Monday.
I made a template at work to allow me and Senna3 to adapt some billet rearsets we already have to fit our SS's and hope to make the actual adapter plates tomorrow evening.
Popped over to Brancatto Engineering this morning to pick up a couple of base gaskets and circlips for the piston. Pulled up outside to find Dallas there getting some seat foam for his ZX10R
Had a very interesting chat with Tony and Donna about the series.
Donna showed me the porta stand they do that acts as a centre stand on the SS's and allows you to remove the swingarm, shock etc and with a support under the front of the engine will even allow you to remove the frame. at around £60 including the VAT I may see if Kev (Senna3) wants to go halfs on one, they are small enough to fit under the seat of a SS so will take up little room in a van.
I'm looking forward to getting a oil tight engine that doesn't knock fitted as I can then get on with sorting the brakes and suspension. I will worry about the fairing later as the bike is currently with lights etc and should pass a MOT with a couple of minor jobs. Then I can get out on it to assess its potential as a race bike and try a few different settings.
Old 23-Jan-2005, 18:00
MotoGP God

Sunday Jan 23rd
I have now refitted the piston correctly, new circlip fitted
The barrel is now back in place, sat on top of a new alloy gasket and all done with out any damage to the Piston rings.
Now need to get my hands on a spanner for torqueing up the head bolts when I get around to fitting the head. I currently have two friends to try, if not I will have to pop over to Brancto Engineering with the bike in the van and ask Tony very nicely if he will do it for me.
Old 23-Jan-2005, 18:16
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Yep - Some of the head bolts are a little 'difficult' to get at. No doubt the pros have a neat spanner to use between bolt and torque wrench????
Old 23-Jan-2005, 19:11
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Now need to get my hands on a spanner for torqueing up the head bolts when I get around to fitting the head. I currently have two friends to try, if not I will have to pop over to Brancto Engineering with the bike in the van and ask Tony very nicely if he will do it for me.
Yeah you really need the Ducati tool to do it properly,although I did see a nice cranked spanner set at the Newark Autojumble that would have done the job.
Great report Kev,keep on it mate!