Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2003, 20:27
Mille

Mood: Pensive
Soft Link or Riveted Chain?

Shazaam

When I bought my first 998S, it came as standard with what I would call a soft link (a link with two pins with indentations on the end that you would use a riveting tool on.

Is this different to what you would call a riveted chain, and if so, why should I need to fit something different to what Ducati fitted as standard?

....or do I just have the wrong end of the stick again!?!?!?!?!?
Old 08-Sep-2003, 21:55
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
A std 998 chain has a Riveted
you can get a temp type chain link that has a C clip that hold's the link side plates together !
In Shazzams post the pic says Failed Clip link !!! ,
I have a C clip link in my tool kit incase i need to do a ( TEMP) roadside repair !

Found this site showing the fitting of a RIVETED LINK !!!

http://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical/...inToolUse.html

[Edited on 8-9-2003 by Totto]
Old 08-Sep-2003, 22:26
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Sorry, I misunderstood your term "soft link". I thought you were describing a clip-type master link. Clip-types are to be avoided because they are rated by the manufacturers at only 70% of the strength of the other chain links, and consequently are the most likely cause of chain failures.

So, if I understand you correctly, a soft link is the chain master link that is assembled and riveted by hand as opposed to the machine peened-over links created at the factory on continuous lengths of chain.

Soft master links will have the same strength as the other machine-made links if peened over properly. As Felix points out they're not reusable.

Since you're only adding two links then you need a new chain including a new soft link. If you were adding four links, I suppose you could splice-in two links with two soft links. Perfectly peened, of course.
Old 10-Sep-2003, 19:59

As far as gearing I went with 15/41 on my 2000 996 and it just keeps pulling. Its amazing how different how different the bike reacts to throttle input now. Amazing
Old 11-Sep-2003, 08:11
Mille

Mood: Pensive
Has all the Scottish rain shrunk my swingarm?

OK guys - something funny going on here

In Shazaam's post, it suggests that the chain lengths specified will leave the eccentric in the 4-5 o'clock position.

Fitted a 96 link 525 chain last night, but the biggest rear sprocket I can accommodate with a 14T front is 39T - any more (40T) and the chain is beyond the 7 o'clock position, which, as I understand it, is definitely not where you want it to be.

So, is Shazaam's wording ambiguous, or is my swingarm horizontally-challenged?