Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Sep-2003, 09:48
Mille

Mood: Pensive
DP Slipper Clutch Mystery, continued...

Hi all, but particularly Nelly, Felix and Stephens

I recently made a post regarding problems with my DP Slipper Clutch and clutch lever travel, under the heading "Ducati Corse Slipper Clutch - Anyone else had experience?".

On Friday, I received two pieces of information:

1. JH Performance confirmed from my part number that the model I have is the genuine DP "Racing Slipper Clutch". They knew of no available slipper that was a higher spec, so I'd be interested in where Felix got his information on a £1,500 clutch
2. "stephens" provided me with parts guides for all 998RS and 996RS Slipper Clutches

Well, Saturday AM at a race meeting, I decided to get to the bottom of this before first practice.

When I bought my 998S, it came with two clutch packs (let's call them "Pack A" and "Pack B"). The guy told me Pack A was a standard pack, whilst Pack B was a Corse Pack with ceramic plates. When I'd made my original post, I was working with "Pack B".

First of all, following-on from advice from Nelly, I checked the respective pack thicknesses, and found that "Pack B" was about 5mm thicker than "Pack A" - that'll explain how I had slave cylinder stroke problems then! Cheers, Nelly!

I then checked the parts guide against "Pack B" and found that despite being thicker than "Pack A", it had one fewer friction plate than would be expected from a Ducati Corse Pack (8 instead of 9). I also found that the plain plates in my pack were in the main 2.0mm, whilst the parts guides related to plates of 1.5mm (again, pointing to why the pack is over-thickness).

Perplexed by this, I decided to open up the Haynes manual and install "Pack A". Now, those of you out there that have invested in this font of knowledge will know that it doesn't actually apply to the testastretta models, but I was kind of hoping that the clutches would be similar to 996SPS and 996S models, which are covered.

When I installed "Pack A" in line with the recommendations on these models, I was puzzled by two things:

1. The Haynes advice suggests fitting a friction plate adjacent to a dished plate, which seems kind of wrong to me. Nevertheless, I followed this advice
2. I ended up with an extra friction plate, over and above that described in the Haynes manual!

I tried leaving out the extra plate, but the clutch was slipping slightly and the bite point was only after about 2mm of compression on the lever. I ended up having to fit the extra friction plate, but the only place I could fit this was between another pair of plain and dished plates.

The clutch action now seems very good and the whole thing sounds a lot healthier, but I'm left with the following questions:

1. Does anyone have a parts guide for a 998S clutch, so I can definitively check what I should have against what I do have?
2. Is it normal to fit dished plates next to friction plates?
3. Should all clutch packs be approximately the same aggregate thickness?
4. Does anyone know what this mystery "Pack B", extra-thick clutch pack could be from?

As usual, any advice/comments would be most welcome.
Old 15-Sep-2003, 11:24
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
If you check the Ducati spare parts catalogues page you will see there is a catalogue for the 998S.

In this, the clutch pack is shown as having 10 plates:

This may help you make sense of the clutch packs you have!

It doesn't state any of the thicknesses, but you might be able to get this info from Ducati.
Old 15-Sep-2003, 12:02
Mille

Mood: Pensive
Thanks, Antonye - much appreciated
Old 15-Sep-2003, 12:49
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
This is taken form the Testastretta manual
Its prob the same a above !

[Edited on 15-9-2003 by Totto]