Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Sep-2004, 22:21
Big Twin

Buying tips for 749...please help! UPDATED! I got it!

Hi all,

I started a similar thread in the forum for the older bikes when I was going to see a 996, and this weekend Im off to see a 749!

Apart from issues common to both series of models, is there anything I need to look out for thats 749/999 specifics?

Id appreciate any help/info.

Cheers.

khu996

[Edited on 4-10-2004 by khu996]
Old 27-Sep-2004, 22:37
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Mate, Ducati have really p***d a few people off with the speed that the latest model becomes obselete so quickly!

If your looking to purchase anything that is either used or a "new" 04 model, i would suggest YOU are in a position to name the price.

Doesnt make the old bikes bad though. Just a bit of a kick in the teeth to the loyal brand follower.
Old 28-Sep-2004, 00:19
Big Twin

Yeah, I got that feeling with the news of the new 999. But the bike Im going to look at is a 53 registered bog standard 749 with 1600 miles on the clock, one owner, excellent condition. With the market being as it is, how much do you reckon its worth? I have been studying the prices on BikeTrader and MCN, but wanted to know what you guys thought?
Old 28-Sep-2004, 08:03
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I reckon 5750-6k.
The only recall I can remember is for the oil cooler.Ask the owner if it has been checked.
Is it a bip or mono?
If its a mono,take a look under the seat area around where the silencer bolts on.Check for any signs of stress or cracks.Some subframes have been known to snap.
Old 28-Sep-2004, 21:15
Big Twin

Its a Bip, and its had its oil cooler recall.
Anyone have any pointers on what I should be looking out for?
Old 29-Sep-2004, 01:08

Mood: like a pig in sh_t!
If its a mono,take a look under the seat area around where the silencer bolts on.Check for any signs of stress or cracks.Some subframes have been known to snap. [/quote]

SOME subframes, Mines done two in 18 months. I hope these have been modified on the 05 models. Its those silencers, what a heavy pig they are (its the cheap termi). For a strongish money exhaust you would expect titanium , i did not think the stainless was that bloody heavy.

If you do not want to keep replacing subframe (if they do not get modified), get the lightest exhaust posible + avoid absolutly any bumps.

p.s Get 05 999 at all cost in Black make a bip mono and then you've got a strong subframe, because i think they are steel.

Old 29-Sep-2004, 09:56
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Khu,

Make sure the servicing has been done as per the warranty.....

First 1 at 620 miles when the light comes on for the first time and the second after 12 months or 6000 miles. Don't be afraid to ask who serviced it and contact them they will have the details of the bike stored on their system. They may also be able to shed some light on other things the bike has been in for which the seller has not disclosed.

Look for chips around the nose cone if they have not fitted a number board to protect it and use that to haggle the price in your favour.

After only 1600 miles on the clock it should be like new, check for signs of rust on the studs holding the cloth material to the inside of the side panels which will let you know that it has been either left out in the rain or ridden in the wet if the seller gives you the old bull about it being dry only miles.....they are cheap and nasty studs and are the first place to show signs of rust.

The chain/sprocket and tyres should have a few miles left in them if not again use that to haggle.

Everything is in your favour and i would agree with KeefyB on price but really push for 5.5k...........it is coming into winter after all. What's the asking price?

Not teaching you to suck eggs but find out why the person is selling it and make sure you have it HPI'ed to ensure there is no outstanding finance on it, the last thing you want is for it to be repo'd a few months down the line.

I do not know how you are fixed for cash but i found after my bad experience buying a binger of a 748R that i was happier buying new and having the back up of 2 years warranty. I have decided to keep my bike for 2 years until the warranty expires then look at what Ducati have released and part ex against something new again.

The 05 999 bike "seems" a good deal at the price they are asking worth considering if you like it.

Hope this helps.

Regards

ScottyB
Old 29-Sep-2004, 13:14
Big Twin

Thanks ScottyB

It has had its first service, but It'll be 12 months old in October, so is gonna need its second service. Anybody know how much this second service is likely to cost? Im not gonna go the official Ducati dealer route...I'd rather a good independent.
Old 29-Sep-2004, 13:29
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Second service is around £400ish from a main dealer, so you're probably looking at £300 from an independent?
Old 29-Sep-2004, 16:39
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Twin fan's prices are spot on.

Another reason to knock off more cash.........offer him 5k and make out you are doing him the favour taking it off his hands!!!.

I am not sure if using an independant dealer will invalidate the warranty remaining on it???

Maybe someone can clarify that for us??

Good luck

[Edited on 29-9-2004 by ScottyB]