Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 29-Mar-2005, 16:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Engine Armageddon....

Just spoken to uncle Nelly who's managed to unearth the root of the problem with my DD engine.

Turns out the generator was loose, creating enough heat to boil the oil and melt any aluminium components within range of the magnets/windings. Apparently it's a real horror story, with that side of the engine full of molten blobs of alloy and burnt oil ("looks like armageddon in there, worst case I've ever seen"!).

This would explain the heat being generated in the bores as the oil wouldn't be up to the job of lubricating at the time the engine needs it most. It'd also explain the nasty, nasty noises the engine was making when I tried to start it up again.

Not sure what we're going to do but Nelly's investigating a reasonable-cost option to put it back together and see if it holds.

Ho-hum.

ali
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:00
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Oh dear!

Mate, I hope you get it sorted out and back on the track quickly.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:02
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
blimey Ali - hope his worship can fix for you mate

C
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:05
Dibble

oh mate .. he did say the oil had been heated up to the extent it now smelt like gearbox oil ......

front cylinder looked ok.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
That's about as bad as it's possible to be, isn't it Ali? How long is it going to take to fix? I'm sure in Nelly's capable hands it'll get sorted as soon as is superhumanly possible, though.

And failing that, if you need to raise money ...

I may know someone who might buy your Superlight if you need to sell it to keep the DD bike on the road

I'm sorry, I'll get my coat
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:13
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Christ, that's not the news you wanted!

Has Phil got any bits left over you could come to some arrangement over?
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:20
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by Redruth
I may know someone who might buy your Superlight if you need to sell it to keep the DD bike on the road

I'm sorry, I'll get my coat

. No.

It looks like the bottom end isn't too bad, so I won't be looking for a new engine just yet. We'll just have to put it back together with new parts where necessary and see if it holds under duress. There is some wear on the back cylinder but Nelly thinks it'll hold up. Shows how good nicasil plating is, a steel bore would've welded itself to the rings a long time ago. The reality is it could've gone at anytime since I bought the bike, and I had noticed the oil getting a bit 'foamy', just didn't know enough to tell whether there was something seriously wrong or not.

So to all other DD big-bore riders, fear not, the kit is fine and you don't need to be too gentle with it, just make sure the rest of the engine's bolted together properly!

Cheers,

ali
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:23
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Ali

**** fella...........is there anything of my old lump that can help..its at nellys..u r welcome to any of it m8...........

i KNOW how u feel...keep going fella..if i can help in anyway let me know....

Phil
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:27
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
Ali

<b>[Censored]</b> fella...........is there anything of my old lump that can help..its at nellys..u r welcome to any of it m8...........

Phil

Cheers mate, but it's exactly the same lump of metal that had been welded on yours that I'm looking for! Nelly's on the case and sounds like he can source the bits over the next few days.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
Ali

<b>[Censored]</b> fella...........is there anything of my old lump that can help..its at nellys..u r welcome to any of it m8...........

Phil

Cheers mate, but it's exactly the same lump of metal that had been welded on yours that I'm looking for! Nelly's on the case and sounds like he can source the bits over the next few days.

Cheers,

Ali

Thats good news..at least its not a new engine dude...and has happened before the race season.....small blessings but hey you gotta take em while u can.

ready for silverstone maybe..to run her in fettle her gently.? plus its close to home LOL

Phil

[Edited on 29-3-2005 by fil2]