Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:30
500SD

Electrex rectifier/regulator

Hi guys

I fitted a new RR51 rectifier to my bike today. It's done the job, and the ignition light has stopped glowing at tick-over speeds. However, what's the score with the little triangular plastic cover which is supposed to fasten just above it (filling the space between the frame tubes)? Now it won't fit!

The Electrex item is taller than the original Ducati rectifier, and it just doesn't leave room for the cover to bolt down. Anyone had this problem? I'll modify a cover to make it fit, provided I can find one. Anyone have a spare they don't want?

Cheers
Steve
Old 19-Feb-2006, 22:18
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
my solution was to zip tie it to the frame and run a seperate earth lead
Old 19-Feb-2006, 23:39
500SD

A zip tie! You're talking to an engineer here matey. (Now there's a thought: Where's the super glue..?)
Old 20-Feb-2006, 00:12
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
He's got a thing about saving weight. The zip ties were lighter than bolts.
Old 20-Feb-2006, 07:49
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,I thought the regulator was suposed to be bolted to the frame to help disipate heat?
Old 20-Feb-2006, 09:10
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
mine is mounted to the frame using wellnuts (original) and uses an external earth. my cover is also spaced up with washers slightly.
Old 20-Feb-2006, 09:15
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
as an ex clubman loads of stuff was zip tied to the bike...
radiator, overflow bottle etc...if you came off, me being a cr#p rider that was plenty !, you didn't need to worry about bent parts..
as regards heat - they get really hot under electrical load - my 851 has always been a daytime only machine and has never been used in the dark so heat is less of a worry
Old 20-Feb-2006, 10:18
500SD

loony888 - The plastic cover has a lowered central section which is meant to pass beneath a metal tang on the frame. This tang allows the tank catch to locate. Simply raising the plastic cover on spacers/washers would mean it will obstruct the catch. Your cover must have had the central section removed?

851neal - The rectifier on my bike failed whilst sitting at a red light in Stanhope last summer. It was during Stanhope Fair - which practically closes the village - and I sat at the red light for ever. It was a warm day, and the heat from beneath the tank was immense. By the time I moved off, I was worried. Sure enough, the first time the engine slowed to a tick-over, the generator light came on.

Steve