Ducati Sporting Club UK
Private Adverts
Use this forum for all private adverts. You must have been a registered member on this board for at least 14 days before you are allowed to post.

Old 15-Oct-2004, 13:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
He..he..he..You won't regret it

I didn't look at their web site before I got mine, I was killing time waiting for my bike to be MOT'd at Flitwick Motorcycles and while I was waiting I tried on the usual Dainese, Alpinestars etc to replace my sad and sorry Axo gloves that have been down the road a couple of times.

Didn't find anything that I really, really liked and decided to have a wander down the road to GLF. Tried on the Held gloves and that was it, I just had to have them. I didn't even know what they were (the booklets that were attached to them might have told me if I'd kept them), turns out they're the Akira gloves in red & black, same as the picture on the sport glove link.

I work at home nowadays. All my leathers are hung up in the corner of my office, and even though I've had these gloves for 6 months I've just had to go and put them on to remind myself how comfy they are. How sad is that?
Old 15-Oct-2004, 15:26
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Know what you mean - I was putting them on and taling them off last night.... Had to have another quick peek before hitting the sack too. Very sad.
Old 15-Oct-2004, 23:45
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
alpine star gp pros for me too , had the gp plus before that and wont ahve anything else on my hands now
Old 02-Nov-2004, 17:19

First of all Hello there!
Had Held Profi. Headers on the SS touched down at a hair pin. Lifted the bike and "lowsidedly" down I went. My right pinky got rashed after the glove grinded itself out + leather broke at the seam. NEVER again will I buy Held gloves. Can post pics if need be. Got Alpinestars SP3 for now. SP-W on order for winter. GP tech when the weather brakes next spring. I'm done with fancy wannabe stuff. There is now excuse for what happened. I must have been doing ~35mph. About a foot away from the ground. No excuse ! The suit didn't even get a substantial scratch on it. Just minor scuffing. No more Held for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by WeeJohnyB
Had the Alpinestars Gp pro, but they didn't last more than 5 crashes....you just can't get quality these days....seriously...they were excellent. Had some Dainese race gloves but they ripped on impact, so I sewed them again, but then one freezing cold race day I put them on the engine to dry and warm between races and they er well stuck to it, bullocks. Also got Alpinstars winter jobbies which are brilliant. Not that warm, but always dry.

Bought some Held gloves from Graham at GLF in Flitwick who does all the MJK leathers. Superb gloves, best I've ever had by a long way.

WeeJohnyB
Old 02-Nov-2004, 18:53
500SD

I'd hardly call Held fancy wannabe stuff. When was the last time you saw then branded and advertised all over the place?!!

[quote]Originally posted by Pacman
...I'm done with fancy wannabe stuff.
Old 02-Nov-2004, 19:26

I'm in the US. Ever since they changed production from Germany to somewhere in the Pacific Rim they've sort of flooded the market and are everywhere. I speak from my experience. I can post pics showing the sorry state mine ended up after a relatively low speed crash. I have no stakes at Held. Pro or con. In fact I thought they were the best money could buy until I had to unwilingly test them. Just sharing what I've experienced. And believe me, I wouldn't want to get caught on another getoff wearing the same item. Being an Engineer I can understand, although not excuse the top of my pinky been grinded away. Weight, velocity, friction, heat, .... What puzzles me are two issues. One is that the kevlar that was supposedly in the inner layer either wasn't there or.... wasn't there. And two the leather breaking and ripping at the seam is a no no for a motorcycle glove manufacturer. What's the use if you utilize kevlar thread to keep two parts together, but the two separate at the seam because the leather breakes? Unexcusable and inadmissible. As a side note, the fellow who imported them to the US for many years before they were so famous dropped them two or three years ago when he noticed a VERY sharp decline in craftsmanship, finish and overall quality. They are now distributed by a major chain and more readily avaliable than Alpinestars.

[quote]Originally posted by ath748
I'd hardly call Held fancy wannabe stuff. When was the last time you saw then branded and advertised all over the place?!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacman
...I'm done with fancy wannabe stuff.
Old 02-Nov-2004, 19:31
500SD

Ah, didn't realise you were US bound. The pair I've got (Galaxy) are straight from Germany and appear (according to the labels) to be handmade in Germany. I'll just hope never to have to test them! Cheers for the feedback though.
Old 02-Nov-2004, 23:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I tested mine aplenty and they held up (pun intended) far better than any previous ones I had. Maybe the US gets the cheap stuff, I don't know. Horses for courses and all...
Old 16-Nov-2004, 21:02
Mille

2 pairs of summer gloves - Kushitani GPR (v.nice, but since I've put on weight can't quite get into 'em) - and BKS GP2000's which are excellent; thick though, so needed quite a bit of breaking in.
Winter gloves are Hein Gerricke Master's which I have used now for 3 winters & only now feel like they need replacing - warm & totally waterproof.
Old 17-Nov-2004, 10:05
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Though designed in California (home of the Terminator) I have used some cold weather gloves from Tour Master. Very warm and waterproof, even in Japanese winters (though my pinkie does get cold after awhile). They have lasted me a long time, though I have not had any screeching falls in them. The ones I have now are about 10 years old and still decent. Have used their tank bags, which though ugly, are very durable and versatile, helping me carry a few six packs of brew home on occasion. Summer gloves are Corin (big parts shop here) and Dianese.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit