Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Aug-2006, 23:21

advice needed

can any of u guys tell what is needed to convert a 888 strada to single seat like a sp5,is it just the sub frame and the seat unit.also can still get the sub frames,and which after market seat unit is the best fit.i have been lookin for a sp4,5 but they are hard to find to find.a couple of specailists have said dont do it because its dead money but the sp models are now collectable and fetch good money. cheers dave.
Old 03-Aug-2006, 23:50
Montjuic

Hello Dave.

There's an sp5 advertised on www.stileitaliano.com it doesn't look 100% origanial but it might be worth droping Gianluca a line and get some info on it.

Good luck.

Mike.
Old 04-Aug-2006, 00:21

cheers mike will call them tommorrow do u know them or delt with them before, knew i wouid have to travel but wasnt plannin that much, but it is a option thanks again dave.
Old 04-Aug-2006, 07:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Dave,

You can't get the genuine parts from Ducati now. You've got a few options:

1. stay with the Strada seat frame, taking lots of care with the bits that stick out, and use one of the aftermarket GRP mouldings. That route has been used sucessfully by a number of the 888 owners on the board and is the cheapest. I'm sure one or two will be along shortly to advise on the better/best suppliers.

2. eBay. Wait and watch. The genuine ally subframes and seat units come up from time to time, but be prepaerd to pay large. NB. The 851 ally seat frame is much more common and will not do the job

3. I have a new, genuine Ducati SP0 steel single seat frame in the loft. It owes me quite a lot but it's spare.

Rgds, Rob
Old 04-Aug-2006, 09:42
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
i have converted my strada. i ordered the bits needed through my fave dealer here in oz and waited..........and waited..........and waited. after about 6 months i get a call saying my seat unit with seat and bum pad are in. you beaudy! the subframe was still on back order and i waited some more. i get a call about 2 months later saying the subframe is N.L.A, ****! luckily my dealer mate has a corsa and loaned me his to duplicate. i found a competent workshop and had a duplicate made for around half the cost of a genuine one. this was around 3 years ago so not sure what's around now.
Old 04-Aug-2006, 11:59
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Hi Dave

Ive took route 1 (as in Robs e-mail). It is possible with some jiggerypokery and QB Carbon do a good seat mould. Here is my finished article. Have attached a few shots of the job in progress !

Some notes

Be sure to fit some heat shrink plastic or foam to the subframe pins that the srada side panels fit on to or they will pierce a nice hole in your freshly painted seat unit (as I found out to my cost !!)

The QB mould has 'desmoquattro' moulded in to it so you will need to sand that out (probably from a moulding of an SP4 seat which had a sticker there)

Ive probably got some OE from and rear seat pads coming over in the next few weeks from italy - give us a shout then !

The long dzus fastener that secures the bum pad is still available from dealers - about £8.

Cut your self a big hole in the seat unit behind the bum pad (see attached pic) so you can still use the underseat storage !

Cheers
Nat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front view before started on bike.jpg (56.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-Aug-2006, 11:59
Ducati in my Blood

The hole to access the storage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fitted bfore spraying bum pad off.jpg (84.7 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Nattyboy : 04-Aug-2006 at 12:02.
Old 04-Aug-2006, 12:06
Ducati in my Blood

Talking

Finished !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marchesini wheel 2.JPG (53.0 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Nattyboy : 04-Aug-2006 at 12:14.
Old 04-Aug-2006, 13:15

cheers guys now i know it is possible just didnt want 2 cut the strada sub frame.
Old 04-Aug-2006, 20:22
Montjuic

Hello Dave.

Yes I know Gianluca fairly well, he's a friends buisness partner. Might be worth a trip over there if only to see his museum, he has a couple of 851-888 race bikes and the mighty V6 Laverda!!

Happy Hunting.

Mike.