Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Oct-2009, 22:42
Mille
Bikes: 749R

Mood: i'm in love... with cider at the moment
is it a pig of a job...

...to get to the airbox out and have a proper look at multi-pin connector on the underside of the airbox?

it appears that this connector is the one which has been causing my 749 to die at the most awkward moment.

give the connector thing a wiggle and bike will fire and run, wiggle it again and bike will die. (engine turns but will not fire until wires wiggled again).

it's only been an issue since the power commander was fitted, of course, PC3 is attached to this connector... could it be a duff PC3 then...?

so, it there an easy way to get to this or is it tank off, airbox out, etc etc...

it's driving me nuts - every time i think about getting the bike out i fear it'll not start...

any (useful!) input appreciated.

magpie.
Old 04-Oct-2009, 22:58
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
its not a big job at all..............................if you know what your doing.

If you dont, then i would go to a sympathetic dealer...............nelly, or jeff at gtech......

you could disconect the pc111 and reconnect the wiring as std.......then do your wiggle test again.

it is tank off throttle off, and to ease the airbox out you need to remove the ignition switch....which are locktite studs....
Old 04-Oct-2009, 23:44
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
it could be your pciii, as i had issues with mine on my 748,sent it back to dynojet and had a replacement sent through. apparently they struggle to match upto the software on the bike. like andyb said disconnect the pciii and see what happens then
Old 05-Oct-2009, 13:25
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie
it's only been an issue since the power commander was fitted, of course, PC3 is attached to this connector... could it be a duff PC3 then...?
Hello mate,...
hmmm,....I would'nt think the PC is duff,but please test it first by removing it from the circuit as in Andy B's post.Its more likely one or two of the pins of the multipin plug have come loose or corroded,....quite a common problem.I read on another forum where some guy had a mystery electrical fault and stripped his wiring loom,only to find it was a loose pin that was'nt engaging in the connector.
Again from Andy's post,its not too difficult to get at the airbox,....its only nuts and bolts at the end of the day.The only real p.i.t.a is the ign switch,....its fitted with some sort of nasty,anti tamper stud that can shear off.All still do-able though.
Old 05-Oct-2009, 17:23
Mille
Bikes: 749R

Mood: i'm in love... with cider at the moment
thanks all.

of course, it is all just nuts and bolts at the end of the day; top tip re the ignition switch and anti-tamper studs.

i'll have a stab at it this weekend.

with all throttle gubbins located in the airbox, are there any settings that need to be noted? I guess I should be able to leave all throttle cables connected and dismantle while it's still attached to the bike...

magpie.
Old 05-Oct-2009, 17:47
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
re the ign studs........you can lock two nuts on the stud, heat it with a hair dryer and they will come out.......

re the throttle, you dont need to touch anything inside the airbox, its just that the cables from the cold start and throttle go in there so you need to undo them on the handlebars......