Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 12-Jun-2006, 22:01
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest1
I am trying to log into my membership area and it says cookies are not enabled - but I have cookies enabled.
Is there a trick to getting in?
And is it worth getting in - I wanna see when my membership runs out.

Alan, the membership data is held on a separate webserver and so may need defining in your browser as a 'safe' website to visit.
Go to Tools / Internet Options / Privacy and click on the Sites button.
Then in the box provided, enter https://vault2.secured-url.com and click the 'Allow' button. This will ensure your browser allows access to the membership area.

If you continue to have access problems, please send an email to webteam and we'll investigate further.
Old 13-Jun-2006, 07:52
Big Twin

Cheers Eamonn and Frank, cookies now enabled for that url and am able to access members area no problem. one for the FAQ I think.
Old 14-Jun-2006, 11:00
Big Twin

I keep receiving this message and others like it regularly and have never had them before, only when accessing the site ??

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 12582912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 84 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

If I keep trying or refreshing I can sometimes get on the site ????
Old 14-Jun-2006, 14:57
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
OK it is well known i'm a complete buffon when it comes to IT (well not just IT, but however...............)

This is not a dig at the Webteam who have no doubt worked very hard to get the new site up and running. I prefer vbulletin........but the access problem is merde.

I've heard comment its down to the volume of users, but i also lurk on another site for wanna be Charley Boremans who want to wander round the world on bikes.

It is not a club and therefore not funded by subscription, does not seem to be funded by advertising, yet on average has at least 500 active users logged, and frequently more, yet it never crashes, or never has access problems, fatal errors etc.

Whats the difference or current problem with getting onto the site, or getting messages saying server too busy? Is it hosted in some big wonderfull hi tech place or in a garden shed.

This is not a snidey dig, its a genuine question from someone who has problems just turning a computer on, and has been known to throw a computer across the room and jump up and down on it. That produced a fatal error

I'm sure i'm not the only village idiot who wants to know, but too embarrased to ask.
Old 14-Jun-2006, 16:59
Ducati Corse

Why when i do a search,for say "Spaghetti" from my previous posts,are the pictures not there?

I wanted to send someone a link,to save having to send large jpg files.
Old 14-Jun-2006, 20:43
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
if you put someone on ignore do they know this?
Old 14-Jun-2006, 21:20
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

From the vBulletin user forum:

"The built in ignore system that comes with vBulletin only allows you to stop viewing the ignored members posts, but say they were the last person to post on a thread, their username still shows up as the last user to post even though they're on your ignore list."

Interesting - I dont think the user knows they are being 'ignored' - you could always PM the user and tell them they are being ignored

Frank
Old 15-Jun-2006, 00:57
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
On the old XMB system we frequently had the system lock up and the message board would stop working. However the webteam could always connect to the server using a direct admin connection. From that connection we could see the CPU was not being used excessively and the system responded quickly to any system commands entered - it was only the website that was affected. Further analysis indicated that the number of users extracting information from the database was overloading the system.

To remedy this problem, we undertook to update the message board to newer (better supported) software - the vBulletin system you see now. This software is much better at extracting information from the database and we no longer suffer from this problem, However now the database is working quickly, it has highlighted the next bottleneck - that of the amount of memory required to run the system. My current analysis of the situation is that we need more memory on the server box to allow better performance and in turn to allow more users onto the system (remember we have temporarily reduced the number of allowed users to limit the loading of the system). This lack of memory afftects the webteams access even via the direct admin entry points and so we cannot reboot the system as quickly as we could previously. Sometimes it can take us 30 mins to get into the system to restart it.

The box we have was set up 3 years ago, and only has 256Mbytes of memory - if you go to any high street store these days to buy a PC, 256Mbytes is regarded as the absolute minimum- yet we are trying to run a website for over 100 simultaneous users!

I have been in touch with our current ISP with regard to upgrading the memory, but so far the options they offer are not very attractive - e.g. 50% increase in monthly payments to get extra memory. I haven't finished negotiatons with them yet, so there may still be opportunities for improvement. Meanwhile I am also talking to other ISP's to get comparative quotes on a suitably sized server.

Our current ISP contract expires on 14th July, so we have to pay for the current system up to that date whether we use it or not - therefore in the short term I'm afraid we may have to put up with some inconvenience. After the 14th July, we will either have agreed an upgrade with our current ISP or we will be moving to a new ISP system. Which way we go depends on the prices and options I get in the next few days from ISP's and this is all then subject to presentation and agreement on future actions at the forthcoming MT meeting on 1st July.

We realise it's very inconvenient to you all (and to us in trying to keep the server up and running), but we are working on solutions that unfortunately have some time limitatons due to contractual arrangements.
Old 15-Jun-2006, 01:39
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn
On the old XMB system we frequently had the system lock up and the message board would stop working. However the webteam could always connect to the server using a direct admin connection. From that connection we could see the CPU was not being used excessively and the system responded quickly to any system commands entered - it was only the website that was affected. Further analysis indicated that the number of users extracting information from the database was overloading the system.

To remedy this problem, we undertook to update the message board to newer (better supported) software - the vBulletin system you see now. This software is much better at extracting information from the database and we no longer suffer from this problem, However now the database is working quickly, it has highlighted the next bottleneck - that of the amount of memory required to run the system. My current analysis of the situation is that we need more memory on the server box to allow better performance and in turn to allow more users onto the system (remember we have temporarily reduced the number of allowed users to limit the loading of the system). This lack of memory afftects the webteams access even via the direct admin entry points and so we cannot reboot the system as quickly as we could previously. Sometimes it can take us 30 mins to get into the system to restart it.

The box we have was set up 3 years ago, and only has 256Mbytes of memory - if you go to any high street store these days to buy a PC, 256Mbytes is regarded as the absolute minimum- yet we are trying to run a website for over 100 simultaneous users!

I have been in touch with our current ISP with regard to upgrading the memory, but so far the options they offer are not very attractive - e.g. 50% increase in monthly payments to get extra memory. I haven't finished negotiatons with them yet, so there may still be opportunities for improvement. Meanwhile I am also talking to other ISP's to get comparative quotes on a suitably sized server.

Our current ISP contract expires on 14th July, so we have to pay for the current system up to that date whether we use it or not - therefore in the short term I'm afraid we may have to put up with some inconvenience. After the 14th July, we will either have agreed an upgrade with our current ISP or we will be moving to a new ISP system. Which way we go depends on the prices and options I get in the next few days from ISP's and this is all then subject to presentation and agreement on future actions at the forthcoming MT meeting on 1st July.

We realise it's very inconvenient to you all (and to us in trying to keep the server up and running), but we are working on solutions that unfortunately have some time limitatons due to contractual arrangements.

I know I live in the dark ages sometimes, possibly hard to believe for someone who makes their living out of leading technical people..., but I digress, but I actually picked up this antiquated device called a 'phone' and called Eamonn today to have a chat about what has been going wrong.

As a former webteam member I fully appreciate that it's often an overlooked function in keeping the club running. The migration that has just taken place wasn't easy and after reviewing the errors and talking through the WHOLE situation with Eamonn I would have to concur - the host the website is running on has a lower spec than the bloody laptop I'm typing this post on!!!!

Eamonn has this in hand and is running with it. There are some changes that he'll be recommending but please remember that this process takes time. Time to initially investigate the issue and find out what is causing it, time to investigate what solutions could rectify the issue, time to word this in a proposal to the MT, time for the MT to digest this and vote on the proposal, time .... you get the picture.

It's all very good to live in the complete black and white world that some people seem to live in - but the Real World (thanks Antonye, I LOVE that ) is not like that.
Old 15-Jun-2006, 14:31
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Eamon,

Thanks for the info. clear, concise and not riddled with techy jibber jabba,

Ray.