Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Apr-2006, 08:47
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
People in this club really confuse and irritate me in some ways regarding trackdays...

Lots complain about this organiser and that one... but then people still use them. Personally the day at Oulton with FE was superb once again and i've never yet had a problem with them.

But back on topic.... 2 of the DSC days were cancelled this year... I was the only person on Phil Bevans trackday from DSC (another DSC supporter) and No Limits are not seeming the choice de riguer for all DSC members.

You have to ask, WHY ? If you the 'rider' is so worried about certain companies, why are YOU not supporting the ones that are backed and back in return DSC ?
Old 27-Apr-2006, 09:22
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Agree with you weeksy, but from my perspective...

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2
Lots complain about this organiser and that one... but then people still use them.

I don't use one tdo any more.

Quote:
You have to ask, WHY ? If you the 'rider' is so worried about certain companies, why are YOU not supporting the ones that are backed and back in return DSC ?

My first point of call is no limits who offer a lot of support to the dsc.
Old 27-Apr-2006, 09:26
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
Agree with you weeksy, but from my perspective...

Quote:
Lots complain about this organiser and that one... but then people still use them.

I don't use one tdo any more.

Quote:

My first point of call is no limits who offer a lot of support to the dsc.

Good stuff... but you're more of the exception than the rule...

Being honest, i'm one of the worst for it and have only used No Limits once for the DSC morning at Snett...

I go straight to FE's site when we're looking for TD's or if Bevan did more would be straight to him and Alan....

Why ? it's convenient... it's well organised... and it's stood me in good stead for 3 years through several Admin staff.
Old 27-Apr-2006, 10:21
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by Iconic944ss
1) Can we please NOT openly name and shame any organiser as there might well be legal implications for the club, even if you are expressing an opinion - I think complaints of this type need to be taken up directly with the organisers concerned.

Sorry Frank but I'd have to disagree. If a customer of any product or service likely to be used by other club members is justifiably dissatisfied then this is exactly the place to bring it up.

Track days are especially important as there is potential injury/loss of life involved and many of the club members use them regularly. If a member has been battered on track, and the organiser has chosen to do nothing despite a complaint, then they should be bought to the attention of the members.

I agree completely that the best way to enjoy track time is with the DSC, but the reality is that the dates/price/location don't always suit all members at that time, so folk are always going to use other organisers, and the club has an obligation to warn them of those other members have suffered with.

The trend from road bikes to track/race bikes is worrying but to be expected as we get taxed/hunted off the road. More and more people are chosing to only ride on TDs, so it's ever more important that people do use this forum to give an opinion or relate an experience.

As loverobot says, the law is there to promote fairness, not to provide a big stick for TD organisers to hit disgruntled punters with. If you've been knocked off your bike on a TD and the organiser has done bugger all about it then shout it from the roof tops before another member gets similar treatment. If, however, you were the victim of close pass or some paint swapping and didn't say anything to the organiser then there's not much they could've done about it so don't come on here and say they're rubbish!

Unfortunately it sounds like Ryan was hit before he could of said anything to the organiser, but some sympathy from the organiser and the banning of the offending rider (as commercially as insane as that might seem) would have gone a long way. In a few years time these companies will only have their reputation to trade on, mostly because they all offer a near-identical service, and those with a reputation for recklessness will suffer in much the same was as you'd think twice about booking a flight with aeroflot!

Cheers,

Ali
Old 27-Apr-2006, 10:36
GTL

Mood: Busy, Busy...Busy!
I should say that this post was meant as an opinion on the future trend of track days, not an open bashing of any particular track day company.

This said however, as Ali mentioned, we are there for fun only but it is still a potentially lethal hobby.

My incident was completely avoidable and very dangerous (even the marshall complained).
I am not one to complain, i would normally take my complaint directly to the individual.

However, on this occasion i decided that it was far too serious a matter and felt that if something was not done, someone else could get seriously hurt.

There were no experienced instructors on the day as they were all abroad on a foreign track week.

As mentioned before, it has been the only time in my experience where they were awash with complaining customers and all that happened was a general ticking off in the form of another speech at lunchtime.

I like this organiser a lot, the guys are very friendly and helpful and i have never had reason to be concerned before.
But on this occasion they fell dangerously short of the mark!

The only point i would like to make is a general observation that track days need to be more strictly regulated or the morons will ruin it for everyone!
Old 27-Apr-2006, 10:45
Big Twin

Phil Bevans day had 9 dedicated instructors... (+ a couple of spares..)

each session there were 5-6 out on track at all times... (amazingly apart from in fast, they were not racing at all... just helping out).
Old 27-Apr-2006, 12:43
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Cadwell Park, 21st, 22nd August, 21st Ducati only, 22nd club members with any bike-use them or lose them guys-they are filling up.

John
Old 27-Apr-2006, 14:20
Montjuic

I've done days in England and days abroad. The days in England seem to be characterised by "the bloke with the scarey eyes" who emerges from his van with a manic laugh and then proceeds to endanger everyone out there. At the end of the session his disappears back into his van...

OTOH on the continent the attitude seems to be "after you, Claude". I know which I prefer! I've always put it down to the "social" side of days abroad - you all stay in the same hotel and drink together and the anti-social riders just don't seem to attend.

Perhaps you've got tales of terrible riding abroad that you can tell to disprove my theory...
Old 27-Apr-2006, 14:21
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally posted by revdecal
Hmmmmmmm....FE? rings a bell? Not just me then?

Ryan,

Hope you are not too bashed about and you and bike will recover soon.

My opinion regarding the above quote and Weeksy's and others' opinions - although I have my reservations regarding certain organisers and would use 100PC where possible, FE seem to have a monopoly at Brands. This is a major disadvantage to me as BH is my "local" and I have little choice - either FE or nobody!

If a TDO grows and expands rapidly in a short time, it would make sense to also grow the amount of staff/instructors to ensure standards and safety levels are maintained.

RX
Old 27-Apr-2006, 14:56
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
Cadwell Park, 21st, 22nd August, 21st Ducati only, 22nd club members with any bike-use them or lose them guys-they are filling up.

John

not for me.

not with all those DD lunatics screaming around the place.