Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-May-2009, 14:52
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Pod Filters - Thoughts?

I've seen a few Desmodue bikes using the K&N Pod Filters (Murray Brown's springs to mind). I'd be interested to hear general thoughts on these.

Any particular advantage versus opening the lid on the standard airbox? Any disadvantages?
Old 27-May-2009, 20:26
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
Disadvantages: not a smooth airflow around the pods as in an airbox, the crankcase breather is not connected to the inlet any more (both good and bad)

Advantages: you save some weight (not that much though) and you have more open space in that area (handy when you need to work on the bike).

Many people like the TPO velocity stacks with those huge K&N filters on them. I haven't seen clear proof about how much better these are compared to an open/modified airbox.

If you end up using velocity stacks, it would be interesting how they affect power (without any other mods apart from setting the A/F).

Old 27-May-2009, 20:32
GTL

Phill, I was talking about these: http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=78308

Old 27-May-2009, 23:39
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
Phill was talking about my bike and when I had it dyno'd it was giving a respectable 52 Bhp with a very nice flat torque curve. Add to this the fact that the piston slap was the loudest thing about the bike I think it did OK.

Most importantly the induction bark was awesome.

http://kapitalmototv.co.uk/play-102-0.html
Old 28-May-2009, 02:43
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGAKATS

Right. I remember seeing that thread back in January and reading the info on the website. Seems that they're only for Monsters though.

Have you, or do you know anyone, who has tried them on an SS ie ?
Old 28-May-2009, 05:58
GTL

No, they are not only for Monsters! You can fit them on any air-cooled injected model.

On ducati.ms I've seen quite a few air-cooled bikes with them: HM, SC, even a Multistrada! I haven't seen them yet on a SS though.

I've heard a lot of people using them on HMs and SCs because these have the smalest airboxes among the Ducati line. On the other hand, the SS has probably the bigest and less restricted airbox compared to the other bikes, so maybe that's why I haven't heard of any SS with TPOs.

Depending on your team's budget, you could always buy a pair and try them on your race bike, and in case they are not any better than an open air-box, you could sell them.

I did think about using them for 2-3 reasons: 1)performance (although not so sure about performance gains compared to the open airbox), 2)weight and 3)cleaning up the area under the tank --> more air for the rear cylinder.

However, I've decided not to because of: 1)their price 2)performance gains?? worth the money?? (see above) 3)they probably make more noise than the already loud open airbox (not good for long rides) 4)I don't like the idea of not having the crankcase breather connected to the airbox

Maybe I'm wrong but unless I see some results on another SS, I don't think I'll pay all that money they cost (plus the money for a new dyno+map) just to try them, hoping that the gains are that good (for a bike used mainly on the road)

I've attached some photos from a HM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1533.JPG (194.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1536.JPG (174.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1531.JPG (220.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1532.JPG (274.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1538.JPG (268.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by ENGAKATS : 28-May-2009 at 06:05.
Old 28-May-2009, 06:00
GTL

It's possible to use these covers on top of the pods if riding in rain. From what I've read, they don't restrict airflow so could be left permanently on top of the pods
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00605.jpg (128.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00607.jpg (158.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by ENGAKATS : 28-May-2009 at 06:06.
Old 28-May-2009, 06:45
GTL

Phill, have a look at this: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=36004
Old 28-May-2009, 09:35
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGAKATS

Lots of reading!

For USD350 it's not a lot of money really to try these TPO Beast-R stacks out.

However, I am concerned about the re-routing of the crank case breather. We noticed after the Anglesey race a good deal of oil around the airbox, but foolishly didn't open up the airbox itself last night. So, I'm wondering if after 6 hours of flogging the 1000DS engine there was significant blow-back from the crank case, thus the oil. Will check tonight, and take some advice on making this mod, from a safety perspective.
Old 28-May-2009, 10:26
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillc
Lots of reading!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Quote:
For USD350 it's not a lot of money really to try these TPO Beast-R stacks out.

I'm waiting for your test results then....

Quote:
However, I am concerned about the re-routing of the crank case breather. We noticed after the Anglesey race a good deal of oil around the airbox, but foolishly didn't open up the airbox itself last night. So, I'm wondering if after 6 hours of flogging the 1000DS engine there was significant blow-back from the crank case, thus the oil. Will check tonight, and take some advice on making this mod, from a safety perspective.

Are you still using the standard oil catch box under the seat? You could make another one, with 2-3 times the volume of the standard one. You can then route the breather tubes better (one at top of that box, one at bottom - not both at the same side) and it will catch more oil in it.