Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Jan-2006, 21:24

St2 966 Upgrade

has anyone done it?
Old 16-Jan-2006, 21:52
Ducati Corse

Not sure it would fit easily would it? Rear cylinder head gets in the way of the shock mount.
Old 16-Jan-2006, 21:58
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
You're thinking 996 Paul - I think he means the 966 big bore.
I think BCM in the States do a 1080 version.
Old 16-Jan-2006, 22:00

yeah i am thinking of the 966 bore kit... and 2 teeth out back
Old 16-Jan-2006, 22:03
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
966 is usually the largest you can go before you need to open up the crankcases... if you do a search there's a bit of info out there but BCM's site is currently under reconstruction.
Old 16-Jan-2006, 22:06

yup i went to them first.. but they were down.. gonna give them a call tomorrow..
Old 16-Jan-2006, 23:00
Ducati Corse

Ah, teach me to read thread titles more carefully.
Old 17-Jan-2006, 07:05
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I had a chat to Neil Spalding at Sigma about this - I asked him whether boring out by 22 cc was really worth it, but apparently it's also the hi-comp pistons that make a difference.

There are other alternatives. By going to 96 mm pistons and the standard crank you can go to 984 cc.

Neil reckoned that the 966 conversion made for a very nice engine with the same charateristics as the standard bike, but on steroids, especially with the cams dialled in and a 'full monty' service to get everything on spec. However I decided against it. To do a 966 conversion properly, he reckoned on about 2K. At the end of the day, it's still only an ST2 and I considered spending 2K on mine to be overspending on the bike, better to trade it in and spend the 2K on upgrading it to an ST4S IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ST2 and I still have it, it's a long way from being a sows ear, but still not worth trying to make a silk purse out of it
Old 17-Jan-2006, 15:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
I had a chat to Neil Spalding at Sigma about this - I asked him whether boring out by 22 cc was really worth it, but apparently it's also the hi-comp pistons that make a difference.

There are other alternatives. By going to 96 mm pistons and the standard crank you can go to 984 cc.

Neil reckoned that the 966 conversion made for a very nice engine with the same charateristics as the standard bike, but on steroids, especially with the cams dialled in and a 'full monty' service to get everything on spec. However I decided against it. To do a 966 conversion properly, he reckoned on about 2K. At the end of the day, it's still only an ST2 and I considered spending 2K on mine to be overspending on the bike, better to trade it in and spend the 2K on upgrading it to an ST4S IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ST2 and I still have it, it's a long way from being a sows ear, but still not worth trying to make a silk purse out of it

Thanks Jules,

I agree with your last statement, my ST2 is sort of my project bike and my only Ducati. My room mate and I share a garage and have 9 bikes. All types. I like to play with the ST2 cause they are pretty rare where I live and it is just fun to mess with something different. Plus I got it at a great price. I am going to look around, I dont want to throw more than 2500 US at it..

Thanks again

Shane