Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Mar-2006, 08:56
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Swinging Arm-repainting needed

A few months ago I changed the nasty plastic rear hugger for a nice new carbon fibre one from Sandbar Composites, where the old hugger sat on the swinging arm its worn the paint away and all the winter riding has paid the inevitable toll on the swinging arm. I have cleaned it and greased it and it will be OK for the summer but next winter I want to sort it. My thought is to get it stripped and electroplated or powder coated what have other people done ?
Old 12-Mar-2006, 11:50
Ducati Corse

Best bet would be to swap it for an alloy ST4S one. Unless your bike is already an S, can't tell from the pic and your profile doesn't tell me.
Old 12-Mar-2006, 11:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
on my old fzr i touched up a couple of bits with smooth hammerite
sounds like a right old bodge but is was pucker once done
couldn't tell
Old 12-Mar-2006, 17:13
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Best bet would be to swap it for an alloy ST4S one. Unless your bike is already an S, can't tell from the pic and your profile doesn't tell me.

No its a plain old ST4 and that sounds like a great idea, has anyone here already swapped one over. I will start a search for an alloy one.
Old 12-Mar-2006, 19:54
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Nelly at Cornerspeed does a good deal on getting items powder coated, very good finish. Save a bit of cash and take the parts off yourself. Had my 996 wheels done in gloss black .... look great.
Old 12-Mar-2006, 20:23
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Try these people: www.aerocoat.net. Well priced and reliable so I am told. I am getting some parts done with them soon, so will let you know how good they are.
Old 13-Mar-2006, 11:37
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by YMFB
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper

No its a plain old ST4 and that sounds like a great idea, has anyone here already swapped one over. I will start a search for an alloy one.

I don't think it's as straightforward as it seems. The adjusters, adjuster plates and spindle pinch bolts are all different so make sure you get the complete swingarm with all it's bits. Also, the 4s wheel spindle is longer so you will need one of those too.
Old 13-Mar-2006, 12:16
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I'm with Derek on this one.

I had the exact problem you describe on my ST, so I bought an ally swingarm, that on the face of it should have been an easy swap. I then had an impossible job trying to get various bits to make it fit. The most frustrating bit was sourcing the right pinch bolts for the swingarm pivot, I had them on back order for ages with guys like JHP and Cornerspeed (you'll know from their reputation that these guys can normally pull rabbits out of hats - but no joy in this case)

I did ponder just getting something made up that would do the job but then, I don't know about you, the thought of holding my swingarm in place by sticking some aftermarket bolts in there without knowing whether they had the required tensile strength or shear strength wouldn't have filled me with confidence two up on a 100 mph sweeper

I had the swingarm for nigh on a year before decising that it was more bother than it was worth and sold it on. Powder coating for me

[Edited on 13-3-2006 by Jools]
Old 19-Mar-2006, 22:19
Ducati Meccanica

I bought a complete swinging arm with adjustors, spindle etc of e bay, i will fit it until next winter.
Old 29-Apr-2006, 23:08
Ducati Meccanica

OK, well we fitted the alloy swinging arm and everything fits, nearly, the angled things that go through the rear spindle and under the swinging arm are different to my original ones. Does anyone have some spare or know what I need ?

Cheers