Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jun-2005, 18:59
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by phillc
Interesting post.........

I've been considering a long range raid into Eastern Europe later this summer. I was wondering if 1000 miles in a day was realisitic. I think such a ride would stretch my stamina and concentration to the absolute limits. I'll probably end up getting an evening ferry and trying to knock of 2 or 3 hundred miles that night, so I'm only left with 700 to cover the next day. Be doing it on my 900ss, so perhaps not quite as comfortable as an ST.

Any thoughts on cracking the 1000 mile mark? I reckon doing it in 24 hours is probably doable, with a 5 or 6 hour sleep in the middle. But doing it straight withouth breaks, I'm not sure.

1000 miles in a day is do able, but you'll probably find the first 900 miles are the worst, after that its easy Seriously once you covered the first 200 miles you'll get into the swing of it.

I prefer to get a good nights sleep, then do it with an early start, rather than sleep in the middle of it.

I've done it 3 times back from South of France to Manchester 1030 miles, twice in 18 hours including crossing the Channel, on the bikes and once in 14 hours in a car (sad to say) plus a couple of other 800+ mile bike days.

Good weather makes a huge difference, as does working out fuel/food/rest stops. See that truck trundling along at 56mph you passed just before you stopped for petrol, just check out how long it takes to catch it up when you stop. Make sure your riding gear is real comfy, or it'll annoy the hell out of you, and get the bike set up right, good seat, screen, levers set in the most ergonomic position, it all helps.

If in doubt stop and take a rest.

Apologies if my reply sounds a bit 'been there, got the T shirt' and i'm not trying to do down Howards or Duncs big rides.

Good luck with your run.

[Edited on 21-6-2005 by BDG]
Old 21-Jun-2005, 22:26
Montjuic

Mood: tyred and exhausted
Apologies if my reply sounds a bit 'been there, got the T shirt' and i'm not trying to do down Howards or Duncs big rides.

[Edited on 21-6-2005 by BDG] [/quote]

'Nuff respect BDG for having done it 3 times it's great to hear that some people are doing big miles on Dukes. My local dealer has three two year old bikes for sale all with less than 500 miles on the clock makes you sick.

I think it best if we avoid any type of willy waving competition on this subject as big miles are a serious subject and we don't really want people falling asleep on their bikes

Having said that I always find it easier to do the big miles on the way home. Something about getting to sleep in my own bed at the end of it makes it seem worth while

One thing phillc may have to think about is what state he will be in the next day If this is the outward leg of a touring holiday it might be a better bet to take it easy I know I didn't want to see my bike for a couple of days after I got beck from Italy
Old 21-Jun-2005, 22:37
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dunks
Well done! You b@stard though for well beating my 500 miles! :P That is now quite a challenge to set someone...........!!

This is another good recommendation for the crusing ability of the ST. Talk about the cold.. I did an overnight run from Manchester a couple of months back and even with all the winter gear on I was frozen.. had to stop four times just to warm up a bit.. it was well below 0 and I don't think I have ever been so cold..

Just ridden across Lapland with Anthony and Jo-all inside the Arctic circle-wasn't TOO cold!

John

Well done!

[Edited on 21-6-2005 by Monty]
Old 22-Jun-2005, 10:20
Montjuic

Mood: tyred and exhausted
Monty,

What did you ride across Lapland and how did you get there?
Old 22-Jun-2005, 10:37
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Quote:
Originally posted by BDG

Nope, this is exactly what I want to hear!

I've done 1000kms in a day back in Australia, but 1000miles is a vastly different proposition.

At the moment I'm thinking about getting an evening ferry to the continent, then knocking off 3 or 4 hundred miles that evening. Having a decent sleep and then cracking on with the last 6 or 7 hundred the next day. Of course, I could just take more time off work and make it a longer trip :-)

I appreciate all the advice and ideas on this thread. I'll post an update when I decide what my plan is going to be.