Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 12-Oct-2005, 14:08
Ducati Corse

Clear as mud ... silly season continues!

Originally posted on Crash.net
Ducati "would quite like" their former World Superbike champion Troy Bayliss back from MotoGP to led the Bologna based team's 2006 attack - while surprise of the 2005 season, Lorenzo Lanzi, is "in line" to take the other seat... although nothing is yet set in stone.

Those comments were made by Ducati Xerox press officer Julian Thomas during an interview with Crash.net Radio in which he began by assessing the team's difficult 2005 season, which saw defending champion James Toseland finish fourth in the points with team-mate Regis Laconi sixth.

"It's been a very difficult season for us," Thomas reflected. "James Toseland has been unable to defend his title in the way he would have liked and we would have liked. He won one race at Silverstone, but maybe he was in line to win more races throughout this season.

"Regis Laconi won three races, at a certain point in the season he also looked like he could challenge for the outright victory. But he's missed quite a few races with zero points - he had a crash at Valencia which put him out of action and then he had a crash at Assen that put him out of both Assen and Lausitzring.

"So unfortunately it hasn't been the good season we would have liked it."

Attention then turned to surprise star Lanzi, who took pole and a race win on his Xerox debut at Lausitzring, then added a further victory in the Magny Cours season finale. The Italian is now highly rumoured to have earned a factory ride for next year, but Thomas wouldn't confirm their plans for Lanzi.

"Lorenzo did remarkably well when he stepped in for Laconi at the Lausitzring," said Thomas. "It was quite a surprise for us. In a way his performance threw a spanner in the works for next year - about the decisions we have to make for riders… We will see. No decision has yet been taken as to the riders for the future. You're not going to get anything more out of me on that I'm afraid!"

So you won't shed any more light on the rumours about Bayliss coming back?

"Well I won't hide the fact that we would quite like to have Troy Bayliss with us," replied Thomas. "Obviously he's been a great asset for us in the past. He won the world championship for us in 2001 and had that great 2002 season as well.
"If we're interested in Troy (it's because) we think he's going to do a good job. But, as I said, nothing is set in stone yet. Lorenzo Lanzi is in line (but) Laconi and Toseland might end up riding for us again next season. You never know. I think a decision will be taken within the next week or so."

Thomas then added that part of the reason for the uncertainty is that Bayliss has yet to decide if he will leave MotoGP - after three mixed seasons in the premier class - while the Australian's serious wrist injury, which has sidelined him since mid-September, is a further question mark.

"Bayliss is out of action at the moment, obviously that situation - plus Troy's eventual decision about what he wants to do - has a major effect on what we will do next year," Thomas explained.
Old 12-Oct-2005, 14:13
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
I read somewhere Troy had an option held on him by Camel Honda until 10th October....
Old 12-Oct-2005, 14:16
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
i am surprised that ducati are so focused on Bayliss, while there is no doubting his talent, he has not raced on a 999, and as others have shown there is no guarantee that he would like it.
Old 12-Oct-2005, 15:40
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
My thoughts exactly. Who's to say he'll be as good straightaway on a 999 on Pirellis as he was on a 998 on Michelins??? I know he'll adapt, but after this season do Ducati really want to wait until he's up to speed with the new package?

I would sign Lanzi and Lavilla right now if I was Ducati Corse.
Old 12-Oct-2005, 17:18
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
I would sign Lanzi and Lavilla right now if I was Ducati Corse.

Reckon they already have, or at least have strong options on both.
Old 12-Oct-2005, 17:53
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
TB's face fits, so he is back in. A world champion that also lost the championship when defending it, - and I would say certainly lost it due to rider error rather than bike failure, - remember the lead he had half way through the season?

I have a feeling that Ducati Corse are trying to keep everybody happy without signing anybody, dangerous game. If JT goes to Ten Kate or Corrona Suzuki he will take points from Ducati next year, - Lanzi has not proved consistent, - Bayliss is also an unknown. Bring back Xaus would be my recommendation, he does not give a damn about the tyres...
Old 12-Oct-2005, 18:09
Big Twin

Mood: r
lanzi is a top rider,i recon he can cut it. not sure on bayliss for the 999.
Old 12-Oct-2005, 18:33
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Bring back Xaus would be my recommendation, he does not give a damn about the tyres...

... or the fairings, clip-ons, seat units, etc. etc.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit