Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Dec-2014, 11:37   #1
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST2, 750ss, 350 Forza, W650, CB250RS, 5x Royal Enfields

Mood: Nesun Dorma
Exclamation Engine seized?
I have put my 750ss on the bench today to start the re-commisioning work....the bike has been in my workshop without turning a wheel for about 6 years due to business commitments but now I have time to ride it again.

I have dropped the oil and filter and took the belt covers off so that I can fit new belts, when I came to turn the engine over to align the timing marks it is seized, there was nothing wrong with the bike when last it was ridden so I can only assume it has somehow got some rust in one of the bores and the rings have grabbed. I dropped the oil cold as I am waiting for a new battery to be delivered.

At this point I do not know which cylinder is the problem, if it is only very reluctant to move it may let go with the application of some pentrating fluid through the plug holes. Has anyone tried this and what are the chances of breaking the rings.

I don't have the engine moving tool so I have only gently applied pressure with the bike in top gear and rotating the rear wheel (well trying to) Sods law says it will be the rear cylinder which will mean getting the engine out....najor problem!!

I am a bit surprised because over the last couple of weeks I have re-commisioned my ST2 without any problem apart from getting the air out of the cooling system and the ST2 was put away sometime before the SS......any thoughts on solving the problem without resorting to major surgery will be appreciated
Cheers Phil