Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Oct-2005, 15:27
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Cylinder mixture differences

Its obvious from peering inside the exhausts that the rear cylinder on the 888 (Strada) is running a little leaner than the front. The header from the rear cylinder is completely clean of carbon whilst the front cylinder has a dusting of carbon. It is, however, not a massive difference as the plugs look the same. As both cylinders run the same map does this mean that I have a slight problem with one of the injectors or is a slight difference usual (I guess the rear will run hotter)? Also could a slight imbalance in the throttle sync cause this?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 29-Oct-2005, 15:50
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
you could always buy a chip to go with your P8 ecu that will provide a different map for each cylinder. That would eliminate the issue, otherwise I believe that the slight difference is par for the course.
cheers

Neil
Old 29-Oct-2005, 18:01
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Before you spend money on new parts it's probably a wise investment to spend a little time & cash on ensuring that the mechanical & electronic components which influence the fuelling are set for optimum running.
As well as throttles, the air bleed screws can make a fair difference to the bike.
Yes you can spend the money on an ultimap which are great ( I had one in my ST2 & it was superb ) but first I'd spend about £50 or so on a proper fuel injection setup which is what I did before moving on to the TFI setup I fitted to my 4S.
Give Nelly a ring.... that's what I did.
Money well spent.
Old 29-Oct-2005, 21:30
GTL

Thanks for the feedback guys. Alas, I have the P7 so unless I swap to a P8 then I'm stuck with the same map for both cylinders. If the bleed screws can make a fair difference to running then I'll add checking out the TPS and air bleed settings to the list.

Given the excellent reputation of Nelly (and how close he is) it would be the sensible thing to do as you suggest Andy. However, one of the satisfactions I get is trying to do as much as possible myself even if sometimes its a very steep curve!

Keith
Old 29-Oct-2005, 21:37
500SD

Let us know how you get on,how easy it was to check settings.Given that Im nowhere near any experts,DIY is sometimes the only option
Old 29-Oct-2005, 21:47
GTL

That'll be a while yet (probably during the Winter!) as I don't get much time in the evenings. I'm just about to start looking at the valve clearances/rockers and then I need to do the belts and a few other servicing jobs including some much needed cleaning!

Keith
Old 30-Oct-2005, 08:08
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
you can optimise the set up of your bike all you like, but without the ability to run different maps for the front and rear cylinders it will always be a compromise. it's worth noting that you didn't feel a problem riding it, only from a physical inspection of the parts.it's not something to worry about as the ecu's have had the ability to map seperately since about 93 (p8 comp.) and the factory didn't start to utilise it until the testastretta's (i think!).Going from your current set up, at it's best, to a differential map set up, at it's best, i'd be very surprised if you noticed any difference at all.
cheers, paul.
Old 30-Oct-2005, 09:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
You could also give your cooling system a damm good overhaul this winter. The reason that the rear runs leaner is it less cooled by the incoming air and relies tottaly on the water cooling.....
Old 30-Oct-2005, 10:53
GTL

The bike seemed to be running fine before I took it off the road, though 10 years of running 2 strokes probably hasn't helped my critical abilities!

A cooling system flush is definately on the list. The rads off so I can give that a really good flush and try and get rid off all the c**p in the fins (as well as sorting the peeling paint).

Keith
Old 01-Nov-2005, 06:54
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
go gently with that radiator keith, ducati will want your first born for a replacement!