Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Sep-2005, 00:26
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Cadwell TD - Idiots, sunshine and ladies! - RESPONSE.

Just got back from a TD at Cadwell recently and I thought I'd comment on the fact that its probably the worst one I've ever been to.
I was really looking forward to trying my trackbike around Cadwell for the first time but that all changed after the first session; I'm used to being blown away by faster bikes in the Inters group but being passed by someone traveling 30-40 mph faster ONLY 6 INCHES AWAY into a corner is just total disrespect for anyone on the track. Needless to say there was a faller in the second session and the inters group was called in for a 'talking to' and rightly so.
I'd go as far as to say its the first time I've actually felt unsafe on a trackday - thankfully the last session before dinner was a good one as I just sat at the back from the start and rode a little better, so the looneys didnt get anywhere near me.

Sunshine...good old Cadwell - it really must have its own microclimate...misty start on the morning - glorious sunshine all day long and then a torrential downpour just one hour after the TD finished, it just does not get any better.

Ladies - ok good and bad as well so lets get the bad out of the way. lady rider - fireblade - I saw her cut someone up going into the chicane and also overtaking (or just not paying any notice) to a yellow flag before an incident had been reached !!!!

Good - a Lady R6 rider who I started meeting 'under the trees' - LOL - at the back of the group e.g. to let everyone else out before us. She was really good in my opinion, learning the track well and nailing the throttle just when it should be. She said I was the first person to have chatted to her before going out on the track and even thanked me for doing so!!! Perfect excuse for making a friend when going onto the track then guys!

One very curious thing that I will be writing to the organiser about is that from the holding area - ALL the riders were let out onto the track at once, instead of sending riders out in batches of 10 or so - or even just splitting the group in half and sending them out 30 seconds apart or so - given the bunching and overtaking that was taking place - I think sending everyone out together added to the problems of the day and didnt ease them.

But I still LOVE Cadwell and will be back again !!!

Frank

[Edited on 15-9-2005 by Iconic944ss]
Old 03-Sep-2005, 00:28
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Doesn't sound too good Frank - who was the organiser?
Old 03-Sep-2005, 00:51
WSB Hero

Tracktime were actually the organisers and apart from the last comment did a first class job during the day. I have a feeling the problems on track were caused by either locals who knew the track or a bunch of riders who could not initially get into the fast group!
Old 03-Sep-2005, 00:54
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
How did you find the briefing Frank?

Serious question ...
Old 03-Sep-2005, 01:06
WSB Hero

I fully expected the briefing to be in the club house (as per the DSC TD last year) - but it was held outside in the holding area - I must admit I thought this was an unprofessional start due to the noise of tractors and other goings on, I know I certainly found it difficult to concentrate on the briefing.
All the basics were covered but were too many 'light-hearted' comments in my opinion and while no one wants potentially uninteresting talk made worse - it is a serious subject and deserves full attention.
Old 03-Sep-2005, 01:12
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Iconic944ss
I fully expected the briefing to be in the club house (as per the DSC TD last year) - but it was held outside in the holding area - I must admit I thought this was an unprofessional start due to the noise of tractors and other goings on, I know I certainly found it difficult to concentrate on the briefing.
All the basics were covered but were too many 'light-hearted' comments in my opinion and while no one wants potentially uninteresting talk made worse - it is a serious subject and deserves full attention.

if this is Phil from Tracktime Promotions then he has quite a polarising personality from what I can gather. I've never been on one of their days personally but I've read a lot of stuff on other forums about people who have been less than happy with him, particularly his briefings. But also read about people that defend him to the hilt.

It may be harsh but I've decided not to use them after reading about some of the stuff that people I know have experienced with him. I'd much rather go with No Limits - which sounds weird as I've only ever done one day with them but the only reason I haven't done any with them this year is because their dates don't seem to align with my needs very well. I've been doing FE days which I think are improving but ... could be better.
Old 03-Sep-2005, 01:24
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
i have been lucky with the organisers at the trackdays i have been on, nothing near to some of the horror stories i have seen on the net.

i do wish they would use a script for the breifings as they vary too much in quality and length. so of them drone on for ages without giving any useful information

the problem with riders clearly in the wrong groups is very difficult for the organiser to prevent, i have asked on some trackday for them to watch someone and they have usually talked to them or moved them to a different group
Old 03-Sep-2005, 01:45
WSB Hero

One idea we kicked about that I thought of (coming from an industry background) is that of a card system that we have for people who have completed so many induction sessions to work on a hazardous site - the spin off here being that time could be saved with the basics for some groups by maybe having a photo ID card to prove that a rider had attended maybe 6 trackdays previously and would only need telling of perculiarities just for that circuit/day???
Old 03-Sep-2005, 23:13
WSB Hero

TP, it was indeed Phil himself who delivered the briefing.

I've written to him to ask why the briefing was outside (as I think we had quite a few more peeps present last year) and also about the group issue.

I'll post his reply when I get it.

Frank
Old 04-Sep-2005, 01:19
Big Twin

I've not been on a Tracktime day (yet), but I don't like the sound of all the riders out in a bunch. I've done Cadwell seveal times with No Limits and twice with Focussed Events (an evening and a full day). In my opinion, NO Limits briefing is excellent. FE briefing was .. different. They STARTED with talk of photos, on bike video etc, before even mentioning marshall and flags. Very strange. They (FE) also let the riders out 2 at a time so you are all spread around the track. Not sure if that is better or worse to be honest, I could argue it both ways.

Bottom line is, I'd do either FE or No LImits again, preference being No Limits. In fact, I'm at Cadders on Monday 19th Sept with No Limits (£89 to DSC members) if anyone fancies joining us.