Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Jan-2013, 15:14
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring, Honda CBR1100XX Superblackbird (at least it's a red one!)

Mood: Happy new owner of a Mutley !
Piston rings

Are there any (cheaper) alternatives to Ducati originals when it comes to rings for a 583? I can't believe I'm being quoted £84.92 per cylinder
Old 12-Jan-2013, 09:29
Mille
Bikes: 500 Pantah, TT2, 749R, 944ssie, Rickman Kwak 1170, Yam 1200 Super Ten

Mood: The Older I get the Faster I Was!
Just done an early 620 engine, which uses the same rings. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find alternatives. There are any number of 80 bore ring sets out there, but finding the requisite thickness/width diamensions is the problem. Agree that they are taking the P at that price.

It would be interesting to see how much It cost to get a batch made.
Old 12-Jan-2013, 10:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
In short, no. There was a discussion a few years back about getting sets of pattern pistons made up but I don't think anything came of it. I'm showing them as a couple £ more tbh....
If it helps, let me know exactly which bike/year they're for and I should be able to cut you a bit off as a DD deal
Old 12-Jan-2013, 13:03
500SD

I seem to remember in the rules you are allowed pattern pistons. One make is listed can't remember which one. Might be worth looking at them to see if that is an option. Asi am a complete mechanical bumpy this may be very poor advice.
Mark
Old 12-Jan-2013, 13:50
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ells
I seem to remember in the rules you are allowed pattern pistons. One make is listed can't remember which one. Might be worth looking at them to see if that is an option. Asi am a complete mechanical bumpy this may be very poor advice.
Mark

There were some piston sets done by the American company Arias. I bought a pair off Matt Larrett for my 583, they worked great, as some will know the bike won the Championship.
Old 12-Jan-2013, 15:09
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
There were some piston sets done by the American company Arias. I bought a pair off Matt Larrett for my 583, they worked great, as some will know the bike won the Championship.

Baines Racing had a couple of sets made Matt Larrett bought one set and Matt Lawson had the other set

As Nelly says it was discussed with him about getting some made for the 583s and he made some progress and I think the price worked out at around £330 for a pair of complete pistons including the VAT which was cheaper than the Arias pistons from Baines Racing, the race committee at the time was willing to help with the purchase providing there was enough interest and if a couple of entrants came forward with a deposit.
Delivery would have been 6 to 8 weeks once they had been provided with a sample, as it turned out no riders came forward, possibly put off by the delivery time which would have been after the season started and secondly because Baines had managed to provide an alternative

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 12-Jan-2013, 19:35
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring, Honda CBR1100XX Superblackbird (at least it's a red one!)

Mood: Happy new owner of a Mutley !
Thanks for the responses. I thought this would be the case, so I decided to bite the bullet and ordered some this morning!

Thanks for the offer Nelly, but I had already ordered them by the time I saw your post. As it happens, I got a d-d-discount anyway, so it was a bit less than quoted.

8 weeks to go...