Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Feb-2006, 14:25
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Digital Display - update

My ST4 has a small digital display with the time, temperature and fuel level on, im sure normally when the ignition is off so is the display.

I have just been out and part way through the ride I noticed that the clock was continually changing, like you were setting the time.

Then I noticed the display remains on when the ignition is off.

Anyone experienced this or know the likely cause, should I disconnect the battery ?

[Edited on 11-2-2006 by YMFB]
Old 11-Feb-2006, 23:21
Ducati Meccanica

about an hour after I got back the display has gone back to normal, albeit showing the wrong time.

No idea why though, any ideas.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 07:54
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Could be some water ingress causing a short somewhere,mebbe a build up of condensation?
Old 20-Feb-2006, 21:28
Montjuic

My digital display only has half the letters showing.. like someone cut them up and threw the bottom half away... very annoying, but apart from the temperature display I rarely look at it!
Old 12-Mar-2006, 09:40
Ducati Meccanica

I think it must have been the cold/concentration as it now seems OK.
Old 12-Mar-2006, 14:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
mine used to play up
i carefully took it to bits and used bathroom sealant to reseal
did the job
Old 13-Apr-2006, 15:40
Mille

Ive got the ST3 with the same clocks/display as the ST4. Last year in France I got caught in a really heavy thunderstorm. Next day, the bike refused to start, bit of a bugger as I was setting off to the Moto GP at Le Mans!

The clocks were misted up and you could see the condensation. Called Ducati Assist who sent a Citroen mechanic out...as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Bike refused to start although the battery was fine.

After he left with a promise to come back on Monday with a van to take the bike to the nearest Ducati dealer, I decided to see what I could do. I took the bike into the kitchen of the gite I was renting and got my wifes hairdryer positioned to blow warm air onto the clocks. After an hour or so all the condensation had gone, so I pushed the start button and she barked into life.

Too late to get to the race but at least I avoided the trip to the Ducati dealer 80 miles away. Got the bike home (the clocks flashed from KPH to MPH and the numbers faded in & out, but it didn't refused to start again.

Took it straight to the dealer I purchased it from who said, yes it was a fairly common problem which they knew about and would fit a new set under warranty.

My suggestion would be to get a new set fitted as you don't want to repeat my experience!!
Old 13-Apr-2006, 17:15

Point noted Red Steve. I have had heavy misting during the winter. Looks like it is from the steam from the engine bay when riding in the wet that gets into the underside of the clocks. Will get mine replaced before warranty runs out.

Micko
Old 13-Apr-2006, 18:08
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Condensation In Instrument Panel

From your recent postings it appears that this problem of condensation in the instrument pods is still happening. My 03 Multistrada had this problem(along with faulty water temperature readings). It was replaced under warranty.
My 05 ST3 shows slight misting sometimes even though it has not been out on wet roads or been sprayed with a hosepipe!
Clearly many of us have experienced this problem and surely it is time for Ducati to put this right on their current production if they have not already done so.