Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Mar-2005, 00:09
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
First Post to Message Board

Hi Everybody
This is my first message. Have been looking at this site for some time now and have found much of interest. Traded my 2003 Multistrada for a 2005 ST3 (but with the old dry clutch )which seems OK. The ST3 is a lot more comfortable than the Multistrada.
I am a bit surprised at the sales results for this bike, although perhaps riders of ST2's will show more interest when they decide that the time is ripe to change their bikes.
Old 25-Mar-2005, 00:18
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Evenin'
Whereabouts in Nottingham are you?????
If you fancy a drink of an evening, the Notts mob meet at the Unicorn in Gunthorpe on the 2nd & 4th Tues of the month.
Cheers
Andy
Old 25-Mar-2005, 00:26
Mille

Evening Ariel, and welcome to the site.

Top choice of Ducati.

I've had my ST3 since September last year and haven't stopped smiling since.

You'll also find many other postings singing it's praises on the site as well as tips on improving the bike...not that there's much to improve on!

Check out the April edition of Bike magazine when it features in a group test of sports tourers.

Anyway, make mine an ice cold Cobra as I think you'll find you're in the chair!
Old 25-Mar-2005, 11:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Welcome on board. Numpty was uncomfortable, why/where was that?

Rgds, Rob
Old 25-Mar-2005, 14:06
Mille

My New ST3

Thanks guys for posting your replies to my first message on the board. Your drinks are lined up at the bar.
In colour terms ignore the Avatar the bike is a red-un as was the Multistrada. A smart colour. I live at Keyworth just off the A606 which gives me easy access to the A6006 and the B6047. These are great biking roads in my opinion. Though to be honest any road is OK when I'm on my Ducati ST3. I love it.
When I commented that the Numpty was uncomfortable it was in terms of the sit up and beg position, the bars too wide and for me the seat height was a bit daunting because although I am tall I only have a 30 inch inside leg. The seat was comfortable enough but the standard screen does little to protect you from the elements, particularly on motorways.
After 50 miles or so I used to feel as though my arms were being pulled out of their sockets.
Liked that two valve air cooled motor which looks gorgeous and the underseat exhausts look really cool.
Thanks for the invitation to a Tuesday night at the Unicorn at Gunthorpe.
Regards
George
Old 26-Mar-2005, 11:01
Montjuic

Welcome to the world of ST's George. I'm a relative newcomer to this myself, having only got my ST2 in November (see previous posts on First Time ST). The guys on here are extremely knowledgeable and friendly and I have been really pleased with my bike.

There seems to be a certain kudos about riding a Ducati that I wasn't previously aware of.. it seems to hold a lot od street-cred in the office car park when compared to other makes of bike.
Old 26-Mar-2005, 11:41
Mille

Thanks for your comments Dunks. So you ride an ST2.I think the 2 looks very sporty. The other day I was riding the back road from Plumtree to Bradmore when I caught up with a guy on a red ST2 at the junction to the A60 Loughborough Road. His bike looked really smart. Would have liked to stop for a chat but a car was behind us at the junction.
I certainly agree with you about the guys in DSC. I am amazed at the helpfulness and the depth of knowledge and there is no doubt about it, riding a Ducati makes you feel good. Have owned lots of bikes but nothing has given me the fun I have had with the Multistrada and the ST3. If only Ducati could improve on the build Quality they could become world beaters on sales figures. For example the Multistrada from new had a leaking petrol tank, leaking oil feed pipe and a instrument display that had to be replaced. The front brake was very grabby and the mirrors were not secured properly to the stalks. Let me say though that all these faults were put right by Italia of Lincoln. Despite all this the Numpty was a lovely bike to ride. so precise on corners.
The ST3 seems OK so far but even so I had to get emergency work done because the top hose was leaking where it joins up to the thermostat. Hve I been a bit unfortunate with my experiences or is this typical? Would very much like to know.
Enjoy your ST2 Dunks.
Old 26-Mar-2005, 13:24
Big Twin

Hiya ariel, and welcome.

Not an Aki Kaurismaki fan, are you?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094675/

Great film from The World's Greatest Living Finn!
Old 26-Mar-2005, 22:24
Mille

Hi Moto 748

No I'm not an Aki Kaurismaki fan, just an old git who rode single cylinder Ariels, Matchless and Nortons etc. in the dim and distant past.
I'm a bike fanatic and the more I ride the bigger the smile.
Ride safe Moto 748
Old 27-Mar-2005, 00:46
Big Twin

Hi, and welcome.

I Used to have an ST2, then ST4s. Now gone sporty with a 749. Also used to ride the old brits, several Triumphs, BSAs and a Panther 600 sloper w/sidecar (they don't handle a damn so might as well put a chair on it!). Always fancied a Duke back in the 70s but couldn't afford a 900SS Desmo or the Darmah then. Now I have one I never stop grinning so I know exactly what you mean!

Have fun with it, and hopefully see you at the Unicorn sometime. I've only been twice myself, being a new member, but I will say that you feel "at home" very quickly around here.

Henry