Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Sep-2005, 23:55
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
Ghost in the battery...

My 05 999 has a ghost in the battery... usually the ghost show his presence early in the morning when ready for a ride out (of course when I have already boots, helmet and leather on..).

Seriousily, for popham mega meet I was left stranded at a gas station - no sign of life. I did manage to start it downhill (after some sweat..) and I rode to popham with the other dsc fellow members..
Leaving Popham the bike was fine and once home I did put the battery on charge (with an halford motorcycle battery charger - slow charging/maintenance charging) for 8/9 hours, as suggested by the Ducati instruction book.
The bike was fine for two Weekends.. This morning..AGAIN.
The voltmeter was reading 11.00... as soon I managed to start it (downhill again..my quadricips are becomining massive..) the reading jumps at 14 and sometimes more.

Anyone with similar experiences.. Is the battery gone? Do I have any chance to try to charge it again withouth risks (what about I do not find a downhill?...)

By the way..is the battery an item to be considered under warranty? I don't think so, ..but you never know...
Thanks
Old 05-Sep-2005, 00:52
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Speak to your dealer about the warranty, but I reckon you need a new battery.
Old 05-Sep-2005, 01:02
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Brogins, the battery is definitley covered by warranty. Had mine replaced FOC when it did similar to your's, no argument at all.

Mine was sorted out over the phone with a main Ducati dealer who posted the battery to me

[Edited on 4-9-2005 by Carbon749]

[Edited on 4-9-2005 by Carbon749]
Old 05-Sep-2005, 01:29
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
I had exactly the same problem in the early months of 749s ownership. In the end, after numerous calls to the supplying dealer (DLS) over this time, I eventually lost it - I rang the dealer & told them the bike was on the back of an AA truck on it's way to the back to them & that I wanted it fixed
First of all, they said they were too busy to even look at it, then when they did eventually agree to actually look at it, they said there was nothing wrong with it, but they had replaced the battery anyway. Of course, when I got it back it was exactly the same
In the end I went & bought a new battery, charged it for 48 hrs before fitting it to the bike & it's been fine ever since. Needless to say, I have never spent another penny at DLS

I'd say you need a new battery & it is definitely covered under warranty (with the right dealer )
Old 05-Sep-2005, 14:41
Big Twin

Mine is exhibiting the same symptoms

I'm fed up of having to keep it on charge just to start the bloody thing!

Carbon749, who was the friendly dealer?
Old 05-Sep-2005, 17:56
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Re Duff Battery

I had the same problem with a duff battery on my 05 ST3.
I asked Italia Lincoln to fit a new one which they did. I have had no problem since. You should have no difficulty in getting the battery changed if the bike is still under Warranty.
For sure it should not be necessary to keep charging the battery every few days.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 05-Sep-2005, 18:17
Big Twin

Mood: Happy.
Hello Brogins,

I had the same problem with my Honda VTR1000 Fire Storm.
Battery went dead/flat and would not hold a charge, replaced with a new battery which was ok for a while then the same problem happened again. I asked my friend who is qualified electronics and electrical wiz kid and upon him testing the bike he found the Regulator/Rectifier to be at fault and had gone open circuit or something like that which caused the battery to be overcharged/fried. Had I known this to begin with it would have saved the new replacement battery from being ruined.

In any case if I were you I would get both the battery and Regulator/Rectifier checked and replaced under warranty if needed.

Richard.
Old 05-Sep-2005, 18:44
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
I have just had mine changed under waranty at Jhp,interestly Ducati no longer fit the gel type batteries.
Butch
Old 05-Sep-2005, 18:52
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
I have just had mine changed under waranty at Jhp,interestly Ducati no longer fit the gel type batteries.
Butch

Funny that, JHP changed mine back in may under warranty although mine ballooned in the battery holder, swapped the rectifier too, even though it seemed to be OK, better safe than sorry though.
Old 05-Sep-2005, 21:42
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
khu996 .... and others ... my battery did the same. After 18 months or so just would not hold charge.

JHP sorted my battery out via the post.

[Edited on 5-9-2005 by Carbon749]