Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-May-2004, 10:06
Montjuic

Mood: FREEEZZZING
Buying a 999

I am thinking of buying a 999
What things you guys with 999´s know of that I should be looking at when I look at a 999.
Are there any good sites with used bikes that you know of? I am in Sweden and they cost SOOO much here so I am thinking of importing one myself , for me Germany is very cheap so I was thinking of comparing the prices in the UK.
Thanks
Old 15-May-2004, 10:19
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Rick_916
You will get some great advice from the folks here, but I'll add my thrupenny bit: make sure the 999 you buy is a 999S. The extra cash it costs will save you asking yourself a month later, "Why didn't I pay the extra to get an 'S' model?!".
The proper advice will follow on shortly ...

Old 15-May-2004, 10:29
Montjuic

Mood: FREEEZZZING
Thanks, do any know of websites were I can look for 999´s ?
Whats the cost os a 999 S ?
Old 15-May-2004, 15:25
Big Twin

I don't know of any specific sites for searching for a 999 - I won't recommend Ebay Maybe the good folks of DSC will keep an eye and an ear out for you.
The 999 new in the UK is about £11250, the 999S is about £13950 (pounds sterling, not sure about euros, etc). Although the S model costs about £2700 more than the basic, you get a load of extra goodies for the money. Bike Magazine did a costing for converting a basic model to an S. If I recall it right, it was over £3500 for just the cycle/suspension parts - without even the cost of modifying the engine.
Good luck in your search.
Old 15-May-2004, 15:57
500SD

Mood: Very happy with the Multi
Quote:
Originally posted by Loz
Rick_916
You will get some great advice from the folks here, but I'll add my thrupenny bit: make sure the 999 you buy is a 999S. The extra cash it costs will save you asking yourself a month later, "Why didn't I pay the extra to get an 'S' model?!".
The proper advice will follow on shortly ...

Proper advice . nothing wrong with the 999 (no"S"), with Termis I have 120bhp at the rear wheel, had the suspension set up and done over 6K trouble free miles.

Get one from an authorised dealer, with service history and make sure that any recall work has been carried out.

You WILL enjoy it, S or not

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Triple Nine]
Old 15-May-2004, 21:50
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nine

You WILL enjoy it, S or not

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Triple Nine]

Well, of course he will!

But I have to justify the extra money I spent, don't I?

Mind you ... those Ohlins ... aahhh ... (Homer moment ...)
Old 16-May-2004, 20:12
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Rick_916,
Bikes in the UK are notoriously more expensive than identical models for sale on the continent.Hence the number of dealers selling "grey" imports.These are usually a bit cheaper than the official UK imported bikes.Problems can arise tho with warranty claims and recalls.Yer pays ya money and makes ya choice.
One of the UK bike mags did a survey and I think it was Germany or France that were the cheapest.For a list of Ducati dealers in those countries follow the links on the world dealer guide on the Ducati website.