Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Oct-2003, 13:22
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Oil leak on 748!

Hi there peeps,

I want a bit of advice. I have noticed that my 748 has a very slight oil leak coming from behind the clutch. I assume that there is some sort of oil seal there. It then runs under the engine and ends up on the bottom exhaust pipe.
It isnt a big leak. Just like a residue really, that builds up over time. I have also noticed that there is a oily residue on the inside of the clutch cover.
I just wanted to know if the 748 is prone to leaking there and if so is it expensive to fix or am i being a tad over cautious.

Im not worried about it much. The bike is due a service soon anyhow. But i am new to Ducatis and so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-Oct-2003, 13:40
500SD

Mood: Anything but 'Yellow-Bellied'..!
It can either be from two sources inside the clutch assembly.

The pushrod which comes from the other side of the engine has a series of small o-rings on it, and one of these could be failing leading to oil coming out of the very centre of the clutch.

The second area is behind the clutch assembly where a large flexible seal is pressed into the side cover. Although not known to cause problems, this could also be a source of the oil.

Cheers.

Lee.

http://www.monstershop-ducati.co.uk
Old 07-Oct-2003, 13:46
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
I agree
My mates 996 sprung a leak from the big seal behind the clutch.
Replaced at Cornerspeed.
Will be worth getting it done sooner rather than later so you dont contaminate the plates with oil?
Old 07-Oct-2003, 15:25
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
There is another source to. There is a tiny oil seal where the pushrod comes out of the input shaft, immediately behind the pressure plate.
If the oil is behind the basket then it is the big oil seal. If it's dry behind there and the oil is only on the back of the pressure plate then it's likely to be the tiny oil seal.
Old 07-Oct-2003, 15:51
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Hi there again chaps and thanks.

As far as i can see it is coming from behind the clutch basket. i havent really had a good look yet because the bike is in my spare bedroom at the moment so i cant really strip it down to much

Im gonna get the bike serviced up in time for next spring so i suppose thats one of the jobs on the list aleady. Oh well never mind. Mods will have to wait. Grrrrrrr