Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Aug-2003, 00:36

Super speed indicators.

I know this has been covered before because I contributed to the thread last time it was mentioned, but I've tried a search and nothing came up

I have Kellerman indicators fitted front and rear. They have always worked fine apart from on first fitting, one side flashed faster than the other. Reversed the polarity of one lamp and all was well. Been fitted to the bike for about 4 months now and get used daily. On my way home from work this evening I noticed that one side has again started flashing faster than the other.

In the last thread, there was talk of fitting a resistor or something to resolve this problem. Anybody point me in the direction of the thread in question or let me know the details of what bits and bobs I need to sort out this little problem?
Old 14-Aug-2003, 15:29
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Mr Nick,

Here's the threads you need.

http://ducatisportingclub.com/contro...ad.php?tid=897

http://ducatisportingclub.com/contro...ad.php?tid=238

Will probably be worth a U2U to Jasper or Jon who have used the resistors. I've got Kellerman's but never had a prob apart from when they were first turned on.

Regards, Guido
Old 14-Aug-2003, 16:44
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
\'tis a strange one!!!

When I first fitted mine,both sides flashed too fast. Then after removing them for a trackday and then refitting them one side was slow and the other fast. I tried swapping around teh wiring on each pair of wires (for each indicator) and managed to get them to work fine.
Then after a couple of weeks, one side started to flash quickly again!!!

I thought it must be a loose wire or similar, but could not fix it. I've tried several combinationjs since to no avail. Jasper did send me a diagram of how to wire power resisitors up in parallel with the rear pair to get it to work, but as I didn't need them before, I'm struggling to see why I do now.

I contacted the guy who sold me them and he said that it may be to do with the type of indicator relay I have,but he was a bit vague!!

So the answer is - I don't know!!!

I will try the power resistors and see if that cures it.

'tis a strange one and no mistake!!!!

I can email Jasper's pic to anyone interested (as long as Jasper's happy for me to!!)

Tim
Old 14-Aug-2003, 18:07
Mille

Mood: Meditating
Shirley its down to the watage of the bulbs......

I'm no electrician, but the system need 2x 10 watt bulbs operating in series to operate correctly.

I recently fitted LED's (rated at 0 watts) to the front mirrors and uprated the rear bulbs to 23 watt and the system works fine.

Most aftermarket indicators seem to be fitted with 23 watt bulbs, two of these units front and rear would certainly stop the flasher unit working correctly(46 watt on a 20watt system), drop back to 10 watt bulbs and they work fine.
Old 14-Aug-2003, 18:09
WSB Hero

That makes sense, until.....

....you realise that they change, either from quick to slow or slow to quick!!!

maybe its those kerbside monsters again!!! They're out there you know, just waiting to drag some innocent sole off their bike!!!
Old 14-Aug-2003, 21:18
Ducati Corse

It IS down to the wattage,The Kellermanns are Halogen lamps and are only rated at 5W(even though they are bright!),your relay requires a parallel circuit of 2 X 21w,you can SOMETIMES get away lower wattage.The relay is seeing exactly the same as when a bulb blows,ie too little wattage.By putting two resistors in the circuit of 10W each you are giving the relay what it needs to flash at the correct speed.Make sense?It does to me!!Roughly it should be wired like this:
Old 14-Aug-2003, 21:20
Ducati Corse

Oh,and why they sometimes go fast and sometimes go slow,i don't know!!Bad connections maybe(if you had a bad would it would be good!).I have instructions to go with the rather crappy drawing if you want!
Old 14-Aug-2003, 21:48
WSB Hero

That\'s cleared it up!!!!

:P
Old 15-Aug-2003, 00:48
Ducati Corse

I would just like to point out that the diagram is BOLLOX and it is a wiring diagram for a mate to parallel some lights in a Kitchen!!My apologies to anyone who has just tried to wire their bike with live,earth and neutral at 240v!!!OOPS
RATTLER,would you care to post the drawing i sent you,please!!Before we end up with loads of Dukes lit up like xmas trees!!!!
Old 15-Aug-2003, 10:10
WSB Hero

Not that would have been funny!!!

Jasper
I'll email the pic back to you as I can't host it anywhere!!!

Ta
Tim