Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Sep-2005, 15:17
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I do what andyb suggests nearly every day on the comuute to work, as the traffic is always grid locked/slow moving and when they try and block u, u have to go over double lines, maybe section 108 is why i havent been pulled over

If I do get pulled I shall certainly mention it
Old 13-Sep-2005, 15:30
Mille

Mood: Great
Quote:
Originally posted by zhed44
Overtaking a Mondeo tonight, when he suddenly speeded up

A Mondeo speed up? 30 to 60 in about 15 seconds, Ducati in about 2 to 3. Teach you to overtake on Double White Lines, car drivers do not expect people to over take on DW's he would not have known you were there. Sorry mate but you are at fault
Old 13-Sep-2005, 15:54
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by itexuk
Quote:

A Mondeo speed up? 30 to 60 in about 15 seconds, Ducati in about 2 to 3. Teach you to overtake on Double White Lines, car drivers do not expect people to over take on DW's he would not have known you were there. Sorry mate but you are at fault

FYI. he nailed it just as i pulled out around him - the increase in forward movement was not really an issue, as the relative accelleration should have taken care of that - it was the 6' swerve that caught me out. in fact i had 2 alternatives - back off and brush against him or nail it and get punted into the bushes. i chose the former.

anyway - beginning to get a bit sick of all the condescending judgementalism now - i'm guessing that all those who have told me what an idiot i was either,
a) haven't realised that i've worked that much out for myself
b) have never pulled off a dodgy overtake themselves.

so for christ's sake, enough with all the holier than thou crap.
Old 13-Sep-2005, 16:22
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Fair play to you Zhed...

We all make mistakes from time to time, most of us get away with them nearly all the time, but the person on here who has never, ever, ever had a close scrape due to lack of their own judgement almost certainly doesn't exist.

Never gone in to a bend to hot? Never had to cram the brakes on as you've realised a little too late that the car in front has stopped suddenly? Never misjudged an overtake and been a bit too close for comfort?

Perhaps we'll here the pious amongst us start to chant "One must always ride at a speed that's consistent with the road conditions at the time, one must never break the speed limit, we must obey, we must obey"

None of us set out on a journey with the prime intent of taking undue risks or ****ing off other road users and I'm sure most of us try to ride defensively and not get into any undue scrapes, but for goodness sake every few thousand miles you may do something daft that makes you stop and think "shouldn't have done that".

Seems to me that Zhed has just got the guts to admit it on a public forum, which is fine by me if it makes me stop and think "would I do that?" from the safety of my office, before I even get on the bike.
Old 13-Sep-2005, 18:25
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Done it loads of times-even on IAM ridouts let by a motorcycle traffic officer..............as long as you don't cross the lines, and it is safe to do so, do it. I have had it pointed out to me by said traffic officer that it's not only your wheels that mustn't cross the lines, in his opinion no part of your bike must overhang the lines either. So no riding with your tyres just inside the lines as your handlebars and mirrors would be over the lines. He did say you would be unlucky to get nicked for that but would very likely get a pull.
Andy-opinion??

John
Old 13-Sep-2005, 20:25
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I tought it was illegal to overtake, regardless of crossing the white line or not?? at least thats what a local traffic plod told me and others when he was doing a guy for it....
Old 14-Sep-2005, 01:14
Ducati Corse

Yes Monty, i've heard of that before.

Read the Highway Code Bradders, perfectly legal to overtake on double or single solid white lines as long as you don't cross said line.

108: Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.
Laws RTA sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

141: You MUST NOT overtake

if you would have to cross or straddle double white lines with a solid line nearest to you (but see Rule 108)
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36, TSRGD regs 10, 22, 23 & 24, ZPPPCRGD reg 24
Old 14-Sep-2005, 01:31
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by itexuk
Quote:

FYI. he nailed it just as i pulled out around him - the increase in forward movement was not really an issue, as the relative accelleration should have taken care of that - it was the 6' swerve that caught me out. in fact i had 2 alternatives - back off and brush against him or nail it and get punted into the bushes. i chose the former.

anyway - beginning to get a bit sick of all the condescending judgementalism now - i'm guessing that all those who have told me what an idiot i was either,
a) haven't realised that i've worked that much out for myself
b) have never pulled off a dodgy overtake themselves.

so for christ's sake, enough with all the holier than thou crap.

Well said mate I think you sound like a Bloke that can tell if it looked like a reasonable overtaking opportunity or a kamikaze death move over the white lines.

He was probably asleep when you arrived at his side and holding the wheel with one hand.

It’s the lesser known Dawdler mate, you just got in his strike zone.

**** the silly paint on the road and overtaking in the gap. Just overtake as normal if it’s safe and you’ve checked for the old bill. That way you end up getting back on the right side of the road as planed.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 01:44
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
well anyway- just glad to have got away with it so lightly
Old 14-Sep-2005, 10:40
Ducati Corse

At the end of the day zhed44 did nothing illeagal though. You just need to allow for the fact that most car drivers (and some bikers judging by the above) don't think that you are allowed to overtake on solid white lines so they are not expecting you to be there.