Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Sep-2005, 17:28
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
E-prom fitting

Having a go at this weekend to fit the 50mm Termi`s on the 916, that side looks quite straight forward.
The e-prom looks a different matter...... oh help.
The opening is very small, the bike must have had pipes on before I took ownership as there is silver type tape over what looks like a rubber cap.
Then inside is the chip, looks old so must be original with at each end of the chip what I can only describe as a swirl of resin of some sort.
The new JHP chip does not have this resin on it, so no worries there I guess.
Will the chip come out with some gentle persuasion and will I need to use any sort of Anti static strap when replacing the new one, can I hold it with my hand without it?
Any help will be grateful
Old 14-Sep-2005, 17:42
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
The bikes earthed anyway so no static strap needed.

It's pretty tight in there all I used was a bent small flat blade screwdriver to ease it out, prise it up slightly at one end, then the other and so on, as not to bend the pins.

When fitting the new chip ensure you put it in the correct way round, theres a notch in one end to indicate the correct way round, and if the legs are bowed out slightly lie the chip flat on it's side and gentle move the eprom to bend all the pins gently at the same time so they are all square and will slot in without a problem.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 18:55
500SD

If you have a Maplins nearby,they sell a tool thats great for the job and very cheap.They also sell an eprom installer but it not much use for the confined space you will be working in.
The chip in my ECU was very tight and needed a firm pull.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 22:04
Mille

thanks for your help guys......
Old 15-Sep-2005, 22:20
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
The whole thing about ESD protection is that you ensure that the item being worked on, the item being fitted and the person doing the fitting are all at the same potential.
Just because the bike is earthed (to what??) doesn't mean its safe... if you are at 2.5KV of static charge holding a chip, when you insert it into the ECU you will short that 2.5KV through the chip & ECU possibly damaging it without knowing.....

The quick method is to earth yourself by touching an earth point on the bike before you start to fit the chip.
I know it's 18 years since I worked in the electronics field, but I think physics still work the same as when I were a lad!

When you feel a static shock, you are experiencing a minimum of 3,000 volts of electricity.

This "shock" known as Electrostatic Discharge or ESD also may be responsible for damaging many of the rejected electronic components in your company.

While you can feel electrostatic discharges of 3,000 volts, smaller charges are below the threshold of human sensation. Unfortunately, smaller charges can and do damage semiconductor devices. Many of the CMOS technology components used in ECU's can be damaged by charges of less than 1,000 volts. Some of the more sophisticated components can be damaged by charges as low as 10 volts. You should be aware of the relative sensitivity to ESD damage of devices you may be working with.

As electronic technology advances, electronic components tend to become smaller and smaller. As the size of the components is reduced, so is the microscopic spacing of insulators and circuits within them, increasing their sensitivity to ESD. As you can predict, the need of proper ESD protection increases everyday.

[Edited on 15-9-2005 by Rushjob]
Old 15-Sep-2005, 22:30
Mille

WoW.....What part of the bike would be earthed for me to touch, I have old carpet on my Garage floor, would that create static ?
Old 15-Sep-2005, 22:35
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
The trick is before you handle anything, grab something like an engine or footrest bolt which will earth you to the bike.
It's highly unlikely you'd do any damage without doing it, but just for 1 second of care before you do it, itsworth it.
Old 16-Sep-2005, 21:17
Mille

Mood: happy dayz!!
I just hope you dont have the same problem as i have just had, two Eprom Chips faulty, eventually got a working one but what a nightmare,

I would suggest once you get it changed to take it to your local dealer to have the co2 pots adjusted so you dont end up running too rich or too lean as i found out today i was running very rich, took them about an hour to sort it out but runs lovely now!!

Sorry to be doom and gloom just wanted to let you know what you may come up against

Cheers

Rob
Old 16-Sep-2005, 22:28
Mille

Cheers Rob I hear what you say, I guess you have to take a risk with these things, I had Sigma put a chip in my old ST2 and that was a nightmare.
I bought my chip from JHP Ducati Coventry as advised by Neil at Cornerspeed, I can only hope things are ok, If not I will get someone to sort it out.
Thanks for your advise
Old 18-Sep-2005, 10:07
Mille

Well its Sunday morning am I feel well chuffed with myself.
Fitted the 50mm Termi`s and the e-prom.
Termi`s took a couple of hours to fit needing a bit of gentle persuation to line everything up.
They dont make it easy to change e-proms even worse when you have shakey hands like me.
Well on with glasses and the chip fell into place first go.
What a jammie git.....
The moment of truth.... will it start, yes... first time of the button, little test ride, all seems well.
Longer test ride today, fingers crossed.
Update later