Ducati Sporting Club UK
Private Adverts
Use this forum for all private adverts. You must have been a registered member on this board for at least 14 days before you are allowed to post.

Old 29-Aug-2009, 13:11
The Webteam
DSC Club Rep
Webteam
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: A Virtual Ducati

New CarbonFibre / FG Parts Supplier wanting opinions

A new trader has approached us who deals with carbon fibre and fibreglass products. His main source of styling has been cars but recently he has decided to move into motorcycles.

I have been informed that he will be able to supply lots of parts for most makes and models of bike. This thread is just to ask what, if anything, owners might like to see in carbon or fibreglass

If you can post up:

Model:
Year:
Product:

Thanks

If you experience any problems or have suggestions on improvements whilst visiting our website, please contact the Webteam by Personal Message or by emailing us.
Old 29-Aug-2009, 13:24
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
Ducati SS
From 1998 onwards
In carbon: Fairing, mudguards (especially the rear for the 1000, 800SS and late 900 models)

Old 29-Aug-2009, 13:55
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGAKATS
Ducati SS
From 1998 onwards
In carbon: Fairing, mudguards (especially the rear for the 1000, 800SS and late 900 models)

You "modern" guys have it easy

Model: Ducati SS Series
Year: PRE - 1998 (Esp 1993!)
In carbon: Fairing, mudguard, rear hugger, Fuel tank rear shroud, SuperLight single seat unit, number plate holder, seat cover, side panels

I'll add more as I think of 'em
Old 29-Aug-2009, 16:37
Big Twin

Mood: Bike or Yacht..... tough choice on sunny day ;-)
I'd be interested in a set of Track bodywork in CF or GRP for the Tricolore .....
Old 29-Aug-2009, 20:26
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
749 2003 model

the fairing wings,front fender,key guard,air tubes

full fairing (doubt i could afford it ,mind !!)
Old 29-Aug-2009, 20:47
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Pre-peg or wet lay????

Chris
Old 29-Aug-2009, 22:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
Pre-peg or wet lay????

Chris

whats the difference ??
Old 29-Aug-2009, 23:46
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej
whats the difference ??

What is carbon fibre ?
Carbon Fibre is a synthetic thread that is heated to such a degree that total carbonisation takes place. The very fine threads in carbon fibre are either left as long fibres along the roll length (known as uni directional fibre) with good strength in that axis, or they are woven together to form fabric cloth giving multi-directional strength with the classic woven appearance most people associate with carbon fibre parts.

There are many woven styles of cloth available including plain, twill (2×2 and 4×4) and satin weaves. The Carbon Fibre is then usually left dry to be used in resin infusion processes or wet laminating (wet lay), or it is also impregnated with an epoxy resin to make pre-preg (pre-impregnated).

Both these processes rely on the resin curing either via a catalyst or heat cured (oven or high pressure autoclave) The cured resin is formed into a mould to give the finished part its moulded shape, stiffness and rigidity.

What is wet lay carbon fibre ?

The manufacturer will most likely use the cheaper polyester resin material, a single layer of dry carbon cloth with the rest being glass fibre cloth. The mould may have a clear gel coat applied (brushed or sprayed) before brushing in polyester resin followed by placing the carbon cloth with more resin then the glass fibre and letting cure naturally.

The problem with this method is a resin rich part as there really is no control over the amount of resin used. The weave pattern is also vulnerable to being disturbed. If there are any contour changes there will be voids filled with resin. Generally on anything other than a flat part this method proves to be more unsuccessful, with the only real gain proving to be a carbon weave on show and a glossy finish offered by the clear gel coat.

What is pre-impregnated autoclaved carbon fibre ?

Carbon fibre cloth is pre-impregnated (aka pre-preg) with resin and is laminated into the mould, usually applying short bursts of heat assistance to help follow the contours of the mould. The mould is wrapped in a release film and then breather material before being placed into a vacuum bag and ‘debaulked’ by use of compressor withdrawing all of the air from inside the bag.

This ensures the carbon fibre is pushed down into the mould and does not leave any voids. This process is carried out after each ply of material is laminated into the mould. The mould is then placed into an autoclave (high pressure cooker) and the vacuum bag is connected to an air line located inside the autoclave. Pressures in excess of 100psi along with heat are then applied(both low and high temperatures can be used depending on the materials used).

The length of cure cycle is dictated by the type of pre-preg material used and the structural make up of the moulds themselves. This is the top end of carbon parts production as it uses autoclaves costing many tens of thousands of pounds.

Typically, pre-preg carbon offers a very low resin content in contrast to the volume of carbon fibre material, thus producing a stronger and lighter part, hence why high end motorsport circles lend their choice of methods to pre-preg and also why you will rarely find anything ‘wet lay’ about a carbon fibre part on a Formula 1 vehicle.

Chris
Old 30-Aug-2009, 00:20
Ducati Meccanica

wow thanks so pre preg is a better buy than wet lay then.

i hope you copied and pasted that as theres no way i could type all of that
Old 30-Aug-2009, 00:24
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej
wow thanks so pre preg is a better buy than wet lay then.

i hope you copied and pasted that as theres no way i could type all of that

Yep copy & pasted,
There is one other method that is a mix of both, ie it is wet lay using carbon fibre only, then it is bagged & vacumed in an autoclave.

Chris

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit